55-SHP22 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris04626

Minister of Fire
I have this stove and have my settings on 1-1 i nthe room the stove is in it goes from 69 degrees to 76-78 within 1 hour or so. IS this normal, anyway to get it lower for right now.

Also i would like ot hook up to a thermostat before winter hits, has anyone noticed much difference in using a thermostat or just the control board?

How does a thermostat work? does it power down every time it reaches the set temperature?

Chris04626 said:
I have this stove and have my settings on 1-1 i nthe room the stove is in it goes from 69 degrees to 76-78 within 1 hour or so. IS this normal, anyway to get it lower for right now.

Also i would like ot hook up to a thermostat before winter hits, has anyone noticed much difference in using a thermostat or just the control board?

How does a thermostat work? does it power down every time it reaches the set temperature?

1. You can adjust the LFF and LBA buttons on your stove. These buttons control the Pellet Feed and Air when the stove is on settings 1 or 2. The LFF can be set lower to just keep enough pellets entering the burn pot to keep the stove running. It will still kick out heat, but not as much. The LBA control how much combustion air enters the burn pot area. This setting should be set so the flame is nice and yellow. When on low my flames just touch the top of the burn pot area.

2. The thermostat does not turn off the stove, it just kicks it down to low when heat is not being called for. I just connected mine recently, but I do like how it works so far, and it should help me use less pellets in the long run.

That's the default catch all setting. You can modify the first 2 buttons to find out what works best for you. Do not touch the last button, or at least that's what I was told by Englander support when I asked. Right now my stove is at 3-7-1, and I'm burning Barefoot pellets.

Last year I burned 3.5 tons of pellets, of which I tried about 6 different brands, and the Barefoots seemed to work best for me.

Good luck and be brave, you have a ton of folks here that will help you out.

One more thing, kinda had a brain fart or at least some kind of fart. In the hopper there is a plate that can be adjusted to close the space the pellets have to enter the top auger. For what I've seen on this forum most folks, including myself, close that plate as far as it will go.

i set it at 3-7-1 like you have yours and gonna watch it for awhile it see what it does? What d oyou keep your room temp at?

You say the falme should go just to the top of the burn pot to be good flame?

My tstat is set at 72 from 2:30pm until 10:00pm, between 10:00pm and 5:30am it set for 65. At 5:30am it comes back up to 72 until 8:30 am when it's set to go down to 65 again. My stove is about 25' feet from my tstat and my livingroom hovers between 72 and 75. I find 75 way too warm and I would like to turn off my stove, but the wife gives me the evil eye and it stays on. The weather really hasn't been that cold here yet, but it kept us plenty warm last winter.

As far as the flame goes, just be sure that the flame is yellow, and you can't see soot at the top of the flames. The flame will still grow and fall somewhat on low. Different pellets burn differently, so what's good for the goose is not necessarilly good for the gander.

Did you connect the Outside Air Kit?

If you look at the manual you'll see that it is mandatory to have it installed on the Englander. The OAK prevents you from pulling cold air into the house through any gaps in your walls, windows, foundation, etc.... It will make a difference in the heating of your home.

Check out post number 8 from Mike of Englander in this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/26673/

We had a power outage here today while the stove was running and it started spitting puffs of smoke from the holes just below the door

Any idea why this happens? Will it happen everytime the pwoer goes out?

There are several possible reasons, but I would suspect that having the OAK attached would help.

The main argument for having 3' or so of vertical venting is that it will usually prevent smoke from entering your house during a power failure because it creates a natural draft. This only applies if the vent pipe is hot though. If you had a power failure shortly after the stove was turned on then I doubt the vertical venting would do you much good. Also, wind hitting the outside of your vent during a power outage can prevent smoke from exiting the vent.

stove ran all night, and it happened about 8 am this morning. I have my stove cornered so i have an elbow then straight pipe out through the wall, then a T then a vertical 3 foot pipe

I still think the OAK would help in this situation. That's why Englander says it's mandatory in their manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.