562xp Starting Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
My 562xp had always started fine for me. I always follow the very specific steps and I have never had an issue. The last few times I have tried to start it its floods almost immediately. Replaced the plug after letting it set for a day and started fine. 5 days later, followed correct steps and no start. Do I need to do something different because it is so hot and humid (85-90 deg)? I love this saw and will use it for years to come but this is the first issue I have had with it.

Fuel problem maybe? Did you try with fresh mix?

I know some saws don’t like the heat, but flooding immediately is a little wierd

Fuel is good and fresh. Ethanol free with stihl HP mix.

Its odd to me as well. Im just reaching out for ideas. I have watched several videos on youtube but most are for the hot start issue (which I haven't had a problem with) and a video on starting while flooded.

Used the removing plug and cranking it a bunch trick and it worked but how do I prevent this from happening? Can I be priming it to much? Is there a chance that I’m over priming it or the tank is under tonmuck pressure from the heat?

Have you:
Tried not using the primer?
Choke off?
Loosened the gas cap to release pressure?

Try starting without the using the choke.

Don't use the primer and start with choke

If it does it again, pull the plug and see if it's wet. If so, you're somehow getting too much fuel, and or too little spark. Either less primer, less choke pulls, etc, or, you are getting weaker spark because of coil, flywheel to coil distance or dirt, bad plug or wire, etc.

It sounds oversimplified but make sure the air cleaner is clean. I’ve had it where my 562xp had flooded fast and I took it to my friends service station close to where I was cutting wood and he said I bet the air cleaner is plugged and sure enough it was. He’s also the one who taught me to clear a flood by holding the throttle wide open with no choke and pulling on the cord until the saw/trimmer/what have you starts. I don’t know if that will work on a auto tune saw though. They are a different breed.

I will check the air filter next time. I learned the trick about holding the trigger on youtube and it works well. Are their any negative impacts on the saw by doing that? I have done it anyway and it works but may not if I know it will hurt the saw.

I will check the air filter next time. I learned the trick about holding the trigger on youtube and it works well. Are their any negative impacts on the saw by doing that? I have done it anyway and it works but may not if I know it will hurt the saw.

This is how I started every single piece of power equipment while I was in the army. Soldiers usually aren't nice to trimmers, blowers, mowers, etc. so they all started hard, even if you followed the MFG's starting procedures. I don't know if this is "bad" for the engines, but they all lasted for several years. Several years of being beaten into the ground by young men 17-25 years of age from all walks of life and geographic locations. I'm no expert, but I think you will be ok.

And to be honest, if one of my saws or tools is giving me a hard time, I start it with the throttle held open and then let it idle and warm up. Don't rev the snot out of the saw right after you start it and you should be ok.

I don’t think it’s going to hurt an engine since it’s only done when the engine is flooded and I always back off on the throttle as soon as the engine starts to sputter some and comes to life.

Last edited:
It sounds oversimplified but make sure the air cleaner is clean.

Also, the air cleaner pops apart. I didn't notice that right away on mine. My saw, at least, is more particular about the air cleaner than the (older) saws I have ran in the past.

All of my saws do the same thing in high heat. I keep two in the toolbox in the bed of my truck and imagine it is well over 120 degrees in there in the summer full sun. They will appear to flood almost instantly if I try to start them right out of the toolbox.

Things that I have found help me in this situation:
-open gas tank cap carefully and the closing again to release pressure before starting.
-if I choke it and don’t get the engine to fire within two or three pulls, I un choke it and try to start anyway.