Did my splitter serve today and started my saw service

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
So. its that time of year for me. I serviced my 2 DHT splitter. Changed the oil, drained the fuel, cleaned the carb, cleaned the plug, cleaned the air filter and pre-filter. Checked the fluid

Last year I switched 1 splitter to ATF I can say its made a huge difference when cold starting

Started serving the saws today. I need to get on my chain sharpening.. Ill probably get on that this week. I have like 8 loops to do

The only saw I actually finished is the 562xp..

You proactively cleaned the carb? If you are looking for something to do, I have plenty of tasks that NEED attention 😆😆

Reactions: ClintonH
My splitter gets Seafoam in it's gas,and the ATF topped up each year
That's it,it does sit kinda under a roof but the snow will still find it over the winter.

What do u mean "switched to ATF"?

That's what I like about my splitter, no carburetor or engine. I use my tractor hydraulics, one less thing to maintain.
I'm sure what he means is that he drained the hydraulic fluid and replaced it with automatic transmission fluid.

Reactions: bigealta
You proactively cleaned the carb? If you are looking for something to do, I have plenty of tasks that NEED attention 😆😆

So I didn't completely pull it.. To clarify.. I dropped the bowl.. cleaned the underside/float are
There is no filter going to the carb so some stuff washes down. one splitter was getting a serge..

Reactions: Jags
He is using ATF instead of hydrolic oil.
Mine is the same full of ATF for cold weather

I like splitting in winter.. I start aroud Christmas.. Its well appreciated when its 15 degrees out

Last year I switched 1 splitter to ATF I can say its made a huge difference when cold starting
I run AW32 in my DHT 27 ton splitter and that thing is miserable to start when it's really cold out. The bottom of the barrel Chinese made Kohler engine probably doesn't help either. Based off of the chart that's on the splitter, ATF would probably be a little too light for the temperature range ( 50 - 15F ) that I tend to split in.