5K lbs single axle landscape trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
My trailer that I bought used has 1 axel with 15" wheels on it. It is 6x10 welded steel with a ramp.
It shows a stamp for 5000 lbs on the tongue. The tongue is welded on. I always assumed all conventional single axle landscape trailers were 3500 lbs unless super duty constuction. Does anyone know the exact meaning of the 5k on the tongue and if a single axel landscape could really be rated for 5000lbs? I am in NJ if that matters.

There certainly are 5,000lbs axles out there but I've never seen a single axle trailer quite that heavy. I'd say best case you have 5,000lbs GVWR. So your max load capacity is probably somewhere around 4,000lbs since you have to subtract the weight of the trailer...

Do you have brakes?

My single axle dump has a 5K with electric brakes axle on it. I rented a single axle tilt equipment trailer with a 7K axle from Hertz a couple years ago. I don't think I've ever seen one on a landscape trailer though.

no brakes, I would never put that much weight behind my SUV.

That stamp might just be the rating of the hitch that is welded on the trailer and have nothing to do with the trailer's GVWR. For example, my bulldog style ball receiver hitch (the end welded onto the trailer) was sourced from a seperate company and then attached to my 10.4k GVWR trailer. Your tongue jack also has a weight rating.

You'd better find the GVWR stamp or research the axle to discover the weight rating. If it has 5 lugs it is a 3500# axle, 6 lugs is a 5200# axle. The axle rating is usually the most important factor.

Highbeam said:
That stamp might just be the rating of the hitch that is welded on the trailer and have nothing to do with the trailer's GVWR...

Yup. My tandem axle dump trailer has a max GVWR rating of 7000#, while the hitch on the trailer is rated at 12,500#. The hitch receiver on my tow vehicle is rated at 6500#. There are a number of "links" in the towing "chain", and you need to pay attention to the weakest one. You've got a Class III hitch rated at 5000#, but I seriously doubt your trailer is rated above 3500# gross. Rick

I agree with the hitch rating stamp hypothesis. Its a class three hitch welded to a 3500lb 5 lug axle.
Still a pretty good buy for $250 with a ramp. However I needed to put a new deck on it.
Thanks for the education!

fossil said:
Highbeam said:
That stamp might just be the rating of the hitch that is welded on the trailer and have nothing to do with the trailer's GVWR...

Yup. My tandem axle dump trailer has a max GVWR rating of 7000#, while the hitch on the trailer is rated at 12,500#. The hitch receiver on my tow vehicle is rated at 6500#. There are a number of "links" in the towing "chain", and you need to pay attention to the weakest one. You've got a Class III hitch rated at 5000#, but I seriously doubt your trailer is rated above 3500# gross. Rick

I checked my equipment trailer last night and it has a pair of 5200# dexter axles, a 10,400# GVWR stamped on the frame (from PJ trailers) near the tongue, and a trailer ball receiver made in Wisconsin with a 12,500# rating. The receiver hitch assembly bolted onto my one ton ford has the lowest rating which is 10,000# with my W/D system.

Status
Not open for further replies.