My Great New Wood-hauler!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
I've been meaning to take some pics and share with others about this great little trailer I picked up a few months ago. It's an Army-surplus M-116A2 trailer, and boy is it built hell for stout!

Mine was originally designed to carry military gensets. It's 5 1/2' wide x 8' long and the guy I bought it from put 2 1/2' sides on it. If I put rail extensions on it, I can carry a full cord of wood in it. It's rated to handle 2,500 lbs of cargo, but I think it would easily take another 500lbs or 1,000lbs. more. I picked up about 2/3 of a cord of green white oak the other day, and the trailer didn't even flinch......it tows so nicely.....!!

It's got a heavy-duty 3/4 ton axle, heavy-duty 16" E-load range tires, 6 leaf leafsprings, and shock absorbers too! The bed is 1/4" aluminum, so no worries about replacing a rotting wood deck or a rusting metal one. It has a heavy-duty lunette ring/pintle hitch setup which I really like--it's super easy to hook up, and this has to be the strongest coupling I've ever had on any trailer. It's a bit more sensitive when backing the trailer, but once you get used to it it does very well.

The trailer is very nicely balanced, and comes with a built-in surge break system that is great for coming down from the mountains with a full load. It also has a handbrake system that is activated by two levers in the front--so no need for wheel chocks when it's not coupled to something or you're parked on a hill. It also has a front tongue jack and a rear leg, so that you can completely disconnect it, set the front and rear jacks and activate the hand brakes and it will sit level and straight and not go anywhere. And, should I ever get it stuck somewhere, I can just call a friend with a helicopter to come and get me as it's got lifting rings welded to the frame all around! Also, they are set up to be a tilt trailer, though if you have the surge brake model like mine you have to add some flexible brake line.

I'm driving a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 Ext Cab, and I must say that this is hands down the best, most affordable trailer I've ever seen for a mid-size truck. There's a few guys that sell them around here for $750-$1,200 depending upon the age and condition. Apparently, the ones with the surge brakes like mine are very sought after and thus hard to find. Even at $1,000 these trailers are WAY better built than the $700-800 ones like you see at Lowes and HD. I bought it from a guy who bought the flatbed version at a military auction and then added the 2 1/2' sides and rear gates. He did a real nice job on it, and then decided to get a flatbed truck. I only paid $500 for it--and it's paid for itself already! If you look around you can find these pretty cheap at military auctions, if the resellers don't buy them all!

NP

Attachments

• M116A2-trailer-(2-of-5)copy.jpg
    M116A2-trailer-(2-of-5)copy.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 869
  • M116A2-trailer-(1-of-5)copy.jpg
    M116A2-trailer-(1-of-5)copy.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 945
  • M116A2-trailer-(5-of-5)copy.jpg
    M116A2-trailer-(5-of-5)copy.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 903
Very nice!
Nonprophet said:
I've been meaning to take some pics and share with others about this great little trailer I picked up a few months ago. It's an Army-surplus M-116A2 trailer, and boy is it built hell for stout!

Mine was originally designed to carry military gensets. It's 5 1/2' wide x 8' long and the guy I bought it from put 2 1/2 sides on it. If I put rail extensions on it, I can carry a full cord of wood in it. It's rated to handle 2,500 lbs of cargo, but I think it would easily take another 500lbs or 1,000lbs. more. I picked up about 2/3 of a cord of green white oak the other day, and the trailer didn't even flinch......it tows so nicely.....!!

It's got a heavy-duty 3/4 ton axle, heavy-duty 16" E-load range tires, 6 leaf leafsprings, and shock absorbers too! The bed is 1/4" aluminum, so no worries about replacing a rotting wood deck or a rusting metal one. It has a heavy-duty lunette ring/pintle hitch setup which I really like--it's super easy to hook up, and this has to be the strongest coupling I've ever had on any trailer. It's a bit more sensitive when backing the trailer, but once you get used to it it does very well.

The trailer is very nicely balanced, and comes with a built-in surge break system that is great for coming down from the mountains with a full load. It also has a handbrake system that is activated by two levers in the front--so no need for wheel chocks when it's not coupled to something or you're parked on a hill. It also has a front tongue jack and a rear leg, so that you can completely disconnect it, set the front and rear jacks and activate the hand brakes and it will sit level and straight and not go anywhere. And, should I ever get it stuck somewhere, I can just call a friend with a helicopter to come and get me as it's got lifting rings welded to the frame all around! Also, they are set up to be a tilt trailer, though if you have the surge brake model like mine you have to add some flexible brake line.

I'm driving a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 Ext Cab, and I must say that this is hands down the best, most affordable trailer I've ever seen for a mid-size truck. There's a few guys that sell them around here for $750-$1,200 depending upon the age and condition. Apparently, the ones with the surge brakes like mine are very sought after and thus hard to find. Even at $1,000 these trailers are WAY better built than the $700-800 ones like you see at Lowes and HD. I bought it from a guy who bought the flatbed version at a military auction and then added the 2 1/2' sides and rear gates. He did a real nice job on it, and then decided to get a flatbed truck. I only paid $500 for it--and it's paid for itself already! If you look around you can find these pretty cheap at military auctions, if the resellers don't buy them all!

NP

Nice trailer!
Can I ask what the weight of that puppy is empty?

ilikewood said:
Nice trailer!
Can I ask what the weight of that puppy is empty?

700 lbs. more or less.

They come in various configurations--some have stake bed sides, some have bows/ribs for a canvas top, so it does vary a little.

NP

Ive pulled many of them around and serviced a bunch too while in the Army. Make sure you lube the park break cables.

Jamess67 said:
Ive pulled many of them around and serviced a bunch too while in the Army. Make sure you lube the park break cables.

Will do. Thanks!

NP

ribs1 said:
How does that type of hitch work? Can you use it with a normal hitch ball?
It works with a pintle hook.

19747.jpg

Wow! Heckofa deal! Excellent score! I have a feeling that trailer will last you a good long time.

Did you have to change everything over from 24 volts or done already ?

billb3 said:
Did you have to change everything over from 24 volts or done already ?

The guy I bought it from had already converted it to 12v. Pretty simple job really. He had put a 7 way plug on the end and I just went back to a flat 4 as that's all you really need.

NP

Status
Not open for further replies.