The wood hauler lives again!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
My truck has been randomly overheating for years. No rhyme or reason, just overheated out of the blue at random times. Last year it finally got bad and that was that. We parked it and used the car/small trailer for everything until we could fix it. We tore it down this week and found a broken head bolt that caused the head gasket to fail. It took 14 years with a broken head bolt for it to finally let go completely! The guy I got the truck from (14 years ago) told me to drive it to the scrap yard, but I did some fixing and ran it hard this whole time. Best we can figure is they tried to fix a head gasket and broke a head bolt and that made them think it was junk, so they slapped it back together. Half the gaskets were old/broken/leaking.

We ported the head, removed the broken head bolt, and put it back together. I drove it around for a while today to make sure it was fixed, and it was perfect. It stays nice and cool now, and sound a little different too. I'm giddy like a kid right now, just waiting to haul more wood. It took a lot of trips with the small trailer this last year, compared to using the truck. The little trailer only holds about a face cord of wood, while the truck will carry whatever you can fit on it. It's at least a 3-to-1 difference. Luckily this last year was almost entirely local wood, within a few miles of the house, so the fuel cost of 3x as many trips was not bad at all. This year some of the wood is still local, but a lot of it is 10-20 minutes away, so the truck is going to save a bunch of time and gas, especially since a lot of it is oak. My little trailer can't carry much oak. 😦

My son is itching to get the flatbed fixed up too, because that will carry at least a cord, maybe a cord and a half. That would make 2-3 cord per trip. We'll have to pack a lunch. 😁 We'll also have the log wagon for bringing home mill logs or log length firewood.

Here's a picture of the head porting and a little snippet of the truck taking off up a hill today.

D7B465F2-4F98-437D-93C1-E08D84D3B5F1.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3889.MOV
    1.7 MB
Come on now...
No description of the truck or pic's of it.
All my vehicles are others cast offs, so i am glad i am not the only one.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
It's a 1991 f250 with the 300 inline 6. It has 6k springs and a full float sterling axle. It's a 5 speed manual, currently with a mazda transmission, but I have a zf5 to swap in this summer. I want the low 1st and reverse, but I am unsure how the shift spacing will feel, so I'm just going to try it and see if it works. The odometer shows 79,000 miles, but that could be 179, 279, or 379. It showed very few miles when I got it, but it had most likely recently rolled past 100, 200, 300k. I drilled the rear drums and removed the proportioning valve for better brake pressure. The valve was cutting rear brake pressure at ~200 psi, which leaves the front brakes to to all the work, but most of the weight is on the rear axle when loaded. The brakes work very well now. It's a great wood hauler.

I don't have many pictures of it, so these will have to do.

This is a load of oak that is partly unloaded already
6D6D4714-25B2-425F-A882-A7099CDECF3A.jpeg

Another load of oak
BECDA044-ADD8-4721-9F2C-495F7E940126.jpeg

A bunch of logs from a tree service
542A1202-9C50-4A03-9ADA-54408718978C.jpeg

Several dead oak trees from the same tree service (I think this load was around 20-22k gross)
FE175016-A84D-4F3A-BEE3-43C503CC8F0C.jpeg

It's a 1991 f250 with the 300 inline 6. It has 6k springs and a full float sterling axle. It's a 5 speed manual, currently with a mazda transmission, but I have a zf5 to swap in this summer. I want the low 1st and reverse, but I am unsure how the shift spacing will feel, so I'm just going to try it and see if it works. The odometer shows 79,000 miles, but that could be 179, 279, or 379. It showed very few miles when I got it, but it had most likely recently rolled past 100, 200, 300k. I drilled the rear drums and removed the proportioning valve for better brake pressure. The valve was cutting rear brake pressure at ~200 psi, which leaves the front brakes to to all the work, but most of the weight is on the rear axle when loaded. The brakes work very well now. It's a great wood hauler.

I don't have many pictures of it, so these will have to do.

This is a load of oak that is partly unloaded already
View attachment 311628

Another load of oak
View attachment 311629

A bunch of logs from a tree service
View attachment 311627

Several dead oak trees from the same tree service (I think this load was around 20-22k gross)
View attachment 311626
The zf is a much stronger trans and much lower first and reverse as you noted. For a wood hauler or off-road rig it is way better than the Mazda unit. But for a normal street vehicle I would choose the Mazda. I have had both in my 90 bronco with a moderately built 351w. I really like the ease of shifting and gear ratios of the Mazda but I broke 3 of them off-road before switching to a zf. That being said the 3 m5ods combined were still cheaper than the one zf. And I don't really like driving it as much. But it's not going to break. My axles probably will now but I have replacements for them.

Btw my wood truck is a 90 f250 hd with 351w and c6 with a dump bed.

I would love to find a 4wd mazda transmission for my 1987 Bronco, I had a 1987 F150 short bed 4wd with the Mazda transmission and the fuel injected six. Great truck except for the weak frame, mine came with the frame cracked close to all the way through on both sides. I removed the bed and plated it up and it was still fine after 4 years of running and the guy I sold it to got at least another 5. The ZF definitely may be a good stump puller but the truck I had with economy gears in the diffs matched up perfect with the Mazda ratios.

The fuel injected six had about 40 hp gain over the previous smog versions with carbs. The Bronco has the fuel injected six but its an automatic. Broncos deserve a stick;) The various on line sources want $4K for a used mazda with a 4wd setup plus I would need to find a computer and other bits and pieces.

All the local junkyards around me have shut down so finding a suitable donor vehicle just doesnt happen.

I would love to find a 4wd mazda transmission for my 1987 Bronco, I had a 1987 F150 short bed 4wd with the Mazda transmission and the fuel injected six. Great truck except for the weak frame, mine came with the frame cracked close to all the way through on both sides. I removed the bed and plated it up and it was still fine after 4 years of running and the guy I sold it to got at least another 5. The ZF definitely may be a good stump puller but the truck I had with economy gears in the diffs matched up perfect with the Mazda ratios.

The fuel injected six had about 40 hp gain over the previous smog versions with carbs. The Bronco has the fuel injected six but its an automatic. Broncos deserve a stick;) The various on line sources want $4K for a used mazda with a 4wd setup plus I would need to find a computer and other bits and pieces.

All the local junkyards around me have shut down so finding a suitable donor vehicle just doesnt happen.
Find an f150 with a 5 speed and bad frame there are lots. All 3 of my transmissions came in a full truck I paid $500 for. You will just need to have the rear bronco driveshaft length changed. Everything else swaps right over. It was really just a weekend project working by myself. And the computer won't care on an 87 just unhook the auto and properly seal the connector. You will have to splice in the reverse sensor plug for the manual

That is assuming you can find them, up here in Northern NH they just are not available, the yards by them, strip the valuable parts and then crush what is left and I just dont see the private sales. I have been looking for several years since the Bronco was gifted to me. It was parked in 2000 and was under covered storage for 20 years and then got dropped off at my place with lots of cardboard boxes full of parts to be reinstalled. It is interesting with respect to the computer, the manuals I have say the injector mapping was different for the stick and the auto and there are two different part numbers. Probably will not happen anyhow unless I find a donor.

That is assuming you can find them, up here in Northern NH they just are not available, the yards by them, strip the valuable parts and then crush what is left and I just dont see the private sales. I have been looking for several years since the Bronco was gifted to me. It was parked in 2000 and was under covered storage for 20 years and then got dropped off at my place with lots of cardboard boxes full of parts to be reinstalled. It is interesting with respect to the computer, the manuals I have say the injector mapping was different for the stick and the auto and there are two different part numbers. Probably will not happen anyhow unless I find a donor.
Yes the computers are different. But it will work fine without swapping them.

Around here they are for sale all the time. Or I can pick up just the trans for a couple hundred at a junkyard. But I like getting extra axles etc and usually make my money back selling off parts so the parts I want are basically free. Plus you will need clutch pedal assembly front driveshaft etc.

I picked up my parts truck with zf, transfer case, extra motor, etc... for $200.
I had looked a long time for a small block parts truck with a zf. Couldn't find one so when I saw the trans come up for $1000 I got it. I see them all the time with the 460/diesel bolt pattern. But very few small block ones

Btw if anyone wants it I have a 1995 4.9 that ran great. Still in a truck with wiring harness computer etc. If anyone wants it you can have it for free I got no interest and it will end up going for scrap before long

Reactions: brenndatomu
It would be a shame to scrap it. Somebody better grab it. If We were closer, I'd grab it.
True but I have three 351s and a 6.0 LS sitting waiting to replace a broken motor or go in some project. i really don't need a straight 6 as well

Last edited:
300 6 cyl is the greatest motor for a short distance work truck. I really miss my old F150 4x4 with a 300. You can't kill them and they pull like nothing else.
Brakes on a Ford always seem to have frozen rear wheel cylinders.

300 6 cyl is the greatest motor for a short distance work truck. I really miss my old F150 4x4 with a 300. You can't kill them and they pull like nothing else.
They certainly are good motors but I don't think I would go that far lol

They certainly are good motors but I don't think I would go that far lol
For short haul, not interstate stuff they would be hard to beat. UPS used them for years in their trucks. Plenty of torque, simple and cheap to keep.

For short haul, not interstate stuff they would be hard to beat. UPS used them for years in their trucks. Plenty of torque, simple and cheap to keep.
Depending on the size of the truck weight speeds needed terrain etc etc. They absolutely are great motors actually most straight sixes were. But for me hauling masonry supplies and equipment or rubble sometimes on highway sometimes on steep mountain roads a 300 six would do it but be pretty frustrating in the process. Then there is the work van constantly loaded heavy with tools that works the 5.4 really hard.

View attachment 311626
Congratulations on getting the old truck going again but...
Please do not do this! That Ford is likely rated for no more than 14,000 or 15,000 lbs. combined weight - and that would be with a load distributing hitch.

Yes, I know. You've done it like that for years. No problems. So had a family member, and he is dead. No one saw the accident, but it had all the hallmarks of uncontrolled trailer sway that took him off the road where he overturned. He had made that exact trip with that same truck and trailer and that same load of firewood across those same roads dozens and dozens of times.

Please do not do this! That Ford is likely rated for no more than 14,000 or 15,000 lbs. combined weight - and that would be with a load distributing hitch.

Yes, I know. You've done it like that for years. No problems. So had a family member, and he is dead. No one saw the accident, but it had all the hallmarks of uncontrolled trailer sway that took him off the road where he overturned. He had made that exact trip with that same truck and trailer and that same load of firewood across those same roads dozens and dozens of times.
Trailer sway is a result of improper loading/weight placement on the trailer. I make sure to have plenty of weight on the hitch. The factory ratings for this truck are out the window. Those are legal suggestions from scared lawyers. I don't fly down the road at 70 mph with loads like that. The SMV sign on the back means I am traveling at or below 35mph. I'll do 55 with a load on the truck, but no faster. I don't like to run down the road at more than 2k rpm. I keep a long following distance, slow down early, I don't fly through turns, and I stay away froom steep grades with heavy loads. Growing up on a farm with loaded wagons teaches you a lot.

You need to be smart hauling heavy loads for my brother was a truck driver and wonderful at it. Why just a few days ago I picked up my computer that was being repaired and there was a this car hauling trailer that went straight across the road and the trailer was "sideways" with two cars that were tumbled because I guess of the wind. We were all scrambling to get out of the way and figure out which "direction" to go--felt sorry for the driver of that big rig...So be safe everyone..clancey

Reactions: salecker

I completely agree with your sentiment. But you max weight is low the truck alone is roughly 5000lbs trailer can be 10000 max and payload max of about 2600. So total gvw of 17600 if it's an hd version. But your right it still doesn't add up to the 22000 stated. I would haul that much within a mile of my house on the small low speed back roads. But definitely wouldn't take it further or at much more than 30 mph.

Reactions: clancey
Experience with heavy loads will keep you safe.
It's a part of life up here.And the roads are not flat pavement.
I have pulled a tandem trailer behind my 1 ton truck with a combined weight of 24000 lbs +
Not an everyday load.But sometimes you don't have a lot of choice.
My license is a Class 1,i can operate anything with wheels on public roads.Been hauling with low beds since i was 19.

That trailer was not an everyday load, but the other pictures are. The plan that day was to pick up two oak trees, but the homeowner decided to cut all the dead oaks while the tree service was there, so I took 'em all. Top speed was 30-35mph. It doesn't bother me to pull loads like that, you just have to be careful. I cringe when I see new trucks pulling huge campers down the road at 60-80 mph. I don't think that is anywhere near safe, especially when the drivers have little or no towing experience.

Yes it is. I'd love to have an F150 or F250 4x4 from that era, especially with a 5 speed manual. Years ago I had the 300 cid 6 in a Ford Club wagon, believe or not, with a 4 speed manual on the floor. I'd change the oil filter from inside the van, with the cover off the engine.

I do like my 2002 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 V8. That automatic L460(?) does a good job with it.