Granite Or Tempered Glass under my New VC Dauntless Wood Stove - looking for non-skid pads for each leg...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dawn Marie

Nov 9, 2022
Wausau, WI
Hi there Wood Stove Lovers!!!

I am proud to be on my second season with my new Red VC Dauntless Wood stove here in beautiful Northern Wisconsin!!
So far it's been great but my husband will not touch the stove as he gets smoke through the house and does not understand it and how it works. I have of course read every wonderful helpful write up on here about my VC Dauntless woodstove and read the owner's and installation manuals from front to back and even have them on my phone...Great luck I can get her rolling and heated up quickly and going all night no problemo!! I respect this woodstove, do the maintenance, changed the door gaskets already only after 10 fires my gasket fell out. I really have no support with my dealer, I am on my own here so this forum is a great resource.
It is time for me to get a substantial rock for her to be a throne now and get rid of the big box store hearth pad. I have some options. Both may require a non skid pad under the legs, I hear that smooth surfaces can cause friction and cause stoves to walk? Is that true? I am contemplating a smooth piece of granite and also thinking about a clear glass 1/2 semi circle. Either way, I have quotes for both and can anyone tell me a good non-skid cup to put under each leg? Would a 100 percent silicone non-skid pad work? Does anyone sell these that are made for heavy wood stoves and for this purpose?
Also has anyone done this, a 1/2 thick tempered glass piece under the wood stove? I only need ember protection, not heat protection. Just wondering any experiences with tempered glass under a wood stove and any thoughts on this vs. the granite slab I have quoted.
I want to be ready with the fire safe non-slip leg pads. Getting ready to disconnect the stove, I will clean out all my pipes and inspect the stove parts and be ready to move this onto my slab, new flooring goes in tomorrow.
Thank you in advance for your time fellow FIRE LOVERS!!
Dawnie Dauntless

Woodstoves can definitely move a bit from normal use. Smooth surfaces have less friction so the stove would be more likely to move. There are very nice looking options with some texture that would help limit the movement.

Woodstoves can definitely move a bit from normal use. Smooth surfaces have less friction so the stove would be more likely to move. There are very nice looking options with some texture that would help limit the movement.
Hi Skb!! Thank you for your input!! Much appreciated!! Say, were have you seen the nice looking options for pads that would be non flammable, so far I have a set on Amazon ready to order but they are a bit large and pretty ugly and black! I was hoping for clear with no adhesive and silicone and I just don't see anything anywhere so far in silicone. All the silicone small pads have some sort of adhesive and that would be flammable if some embers came out cleaning the ash box. I am doing this big tempered glass round for my hearth pad and will need that beauty to sit still!! Thanks again!! Dawnie Dauntless