6" Chimney liner in 7" square flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acp104

Jan 14, 2016
NW Illinois
Hello folks. I recently acquire an All Nighter Mid Moe and would like to install it in a shed that has an existing exterior masonry chimney with 7" square flue. The chimney is in good shape so I'm wanting to try burning it with the stove pipe just routed to the existing chimney, and see how it drafts. Any thoughts on how it may perform?

My next question is if I were to decide I wanted/needed a liner, is a 6" liner going to fit into a 7" flue? My initial thoughts are that it will not. I believe I will need a Tee where the stove pipe passes through the side of the chimney, and the ones I've seen dimensions for exceed 7" so would not fit down the chimney.

Is going with a 5" liner an option for such a stove? Do you expect the stove to function fine just using the current 7" square tile flue?

Hello folks. I recently acquire an All Nighter Mid Moe and would like to install it in a shed that has an existing exterior masonry chimney with 7" square flue. The chimney is in good shape so I'm wanting to try burning it with the stove pipe just routed to the existing chimney, and see how it drafts. Any thoughts on how it may perform?

My next question is if I were to decide I wanted/needed a liner, is a 6" liner going to fit into a 7" flue? My initial thoughts are that it will not. I believe I will need a Tee where the stove pipe passes through the side of the chimney, and the ones I've seen dimensions for exceed 7" so would not fit down the chimney.

Is going with a 5" liner an option for such a stove? Do you expect the stove to function fine just using the current 7" square tile flue?

Well i have a few questions and a few responses.

First what size it the flue outlet on the stove? You should match that to the liner whether it is clay or ss.

How tall is the chimney?

How was the current chimney inspected and do you have the required clearance from the outside of the chimney to any combustible materials?

As far as will it fit or not that depends on your chimney if there are any offset tiles then no probably not but it can fit. But you will not have any room for insulation which is why we usually remove the old clay liners

Well i have a few questions and a few responses.

First what size it the flue outlet on the stove? You should match that to the liner whether it is clay or ss.

How tall is the chimney?

How was the current chimney inspected and do you have the required clearance from the outside of the chimney to any combustible materials?

As far as will it fit or not that depends on your chimney if there are any offset tiles then no probably not but it can fit. But you will not have any room for insulation which is why we usually remove the old clay liners

Thanks for the response. The outlet on the stove is 6". The chimney is 17'-18' high. The existing hole for the stove pipe is at approx 5'. I just gave the chimney a visual inspection so far, but plan to have a license sweep come out to inspect/clean before attempting to hook the stove up. There are no offsets in the chimney.

I'm not clear on what combustible clearances you're referring to so I'll provide the info I think you might mean. Currently, the clearance between the exterior wood siding and existing stove pipe hole (no clay tile going into chimney currently) is an inch at most. Not sure how the previous home owners didn't burn the building down when they had a wood stove installed like that before. The exterior chimney is 16" wide, so I can't clearance the siding more than that. I'm currently planning on using something like this as a wall pass through https://www.northlineexpress.com/6-...niyfWiIL_4E22NVVJpMH1rI7d540XOVt8ChoCJVzw_wcB to keep the size of my hole through the wall down to 14" max. I was hoping for a less expensive passthrough option, but haven't come up with one that meets my 14" requirement. The buildings interior is currently unfinished, but my plan is to insulate and sheet the interior walls with OSB or drywall, so the nice pass through is probably the way to go. The masonry chimney itself has a 1/2"- 1'' clearance between it and the building siding.

Last edited:
The masonry chimney itself has a 1/2"- 1'' clearance between it and the building siding.
That is what i was referring to and the wall pass thru is obviously needed. Since you have proper clearances once you have it checked i would bet it will work fine in the clay

Reactions: acp104
Status
Not open for further replies.