6" liner inside 8" liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmr

Feeling the Heat
Jan 14, 2006
Central Indiana
We currently have ~ 13' of 8" flex liner through interior chimney connected to our old classic insert. Old Classic is probably going to be retired this year. Currently looking at the BK Princess w/6" flue collar and Buck 80 with 8" collar.

If we go w/the Buck, no big deal, just hook it up, but if we end up with the Princess and the 8" doesn't draw well it might mean running a new liner. Here's the quandary: Current liner has around 5 gallons of psuedo- thermix sitting on the damper block off plate around the pipe, then the rest of the 12x12 clay liner space is filled with loose fill perlite. I REALLY don't want to try cleaning that out unless it's an absolute necessity.

I'd prefer to run a new 6" flex liner through the existing 8" liner. Has anyone done this? Other than the difficulty in getting two pieces of flex pipe to slide past one another, I can't think of any problems this would cause, but thought I'd bounce it off the group. Would have to fab up some mini block off plates to seal between the two liners at top and bottom, I suppose.

Sounds like a good double wall liner to me. You may want a pull cone to get it down and hopefully the thermix and block plate holds!
Good luck!

Turn it the right way up and you could probably screw it into the old liner. :cheese:

If its fairly straight you should be able to get it down with a pull cone and rope on the end.

I think it will work fine, even more protection. If I did it I think I would just stuff Kaowool insulation around the top and bottom between the two liners and let the air space insulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.