6" oval liner - what are some good options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SculptureOfSound

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
What are some of the best 6" oval liners I should be looking at? If there's something pre-insulated that would be ideal.

I remember someone saying Duravent makes a pre-insulated but I can only find it in rigid pipe and only in short lengths of like 4'. Is that what I should be looking for?

I'll be looking for 15' of liner + insulation, and will be running it inside the liner already in our chimney which is 5.75" x 8.75".

I'm really trying to get the liner thing in order as I'm not liking my dealers suggestions... he suggests either hooking into the current liner (it's diameter is too big, and our chimney is short so draft will already be a problem) or else tearing out the old liner and possibly the clay tiles to fit a standard insulated 6" round in there.

I normally wouldn't ask this and would just keep searching but I'm trying to get this all squared away by tomorrow as I have to make a decision ASAP to capitalize on a sale, so I REALLY appreciate your help.

Duraliner comes in various lengths. They get pop riveted together with stainless pop rivets. It's a good product and possible solution for your rect. flue. Removal of the clay liners is another solution.

Reactions: SculptureOfSound
Thanks begreen. Maybe you can help me understand this... I feel like I'm missing something regarding the dimensions of the product.

This is the rigid liner, and it says it is factory insulated. Dimensions are the same as the flex below that is not insulated.
4.75 x 7.75 outer dimension
https://www.northlineexpress.com/6-...igid-chimney-relining-pipe-6dlr-48o-6055.html

This flex pipe says it is not insulated but has same dimensions??
https://www.northlineexpress.com/6-...lex-chimney-relining-pipe-6dlr-36of-6048.html

If I assume worst case that those are the dimensions without insulation, how much would the dimensions increase with normal insulation? Just hoping I can fit it in my current 5.75 x 8.75 liner

The flex section is for getting through the damper area and can be insulated with their insulation blanket.

Reactions: SculptureOfSound
What are some of the best 6" oval liners I should be looking at? If there's something pre-insulated that would be ideal.

I remember someone saying Duravent makes a pre-insulated but I can only find it in rigid pipe and only in short lengths of like 4'. Is that what I should be looking for?

I'll be looking for 15' of liner + insulation, and will be running it inside the liner already in our chimney which is 5.75" x 8.75".

I'm really trying to get the liner thing in order as I'm not liking my dealers suggestions... he suggests either hooking into the current liner (it's diameter is too big, and our chimney is short so draft will already be a problem) or else tearing out the old liner and possibly the clay tiles to fit a standard insulated 6" round in there.

I normally wouldn't ask this and would just keep searching but I'm trying to get this all squared away by tomorrow as I have to make a decision ASAP to capitalize on a sale, so I REALLY appreciate your help.
I had an Olympia 6" pre-insulated/ovalized liner installed with my insert (Hampton HI300) a few years back I'm not expert but bholler is and I know he gives high marks for Olympia products. You might want to check out Olympia.

A Pre-insulated 6" liner is 7.25" OD, I've not seen one that has been ovalized by a manufacture. If you insulate a 6" liner with 1/2" Blanket insulation, a 6" liner is 7.75" OD, because the blanket will over lap itself and add an additional 1/2". You could trim off the overlapped section.
If you ovalize a 6" liner you also reduce the square area of the liner, normally you need to increase the liner diameter if you are going to ovalize the liner to maintain the 28 Sq inches of area.

A Pre-insulated 6" liner is 7.25" OD, I've not seen one that has been ovalized by a manufacture. If you insulate a 6" liner with 1/2" Blanket insulation, a 6" liner is 7.75" OD, because the blanket will over lap itself and add an additional 1/2". You could trim off the overlapped section.
If you ovalize a 6" liner you also reduce the square area of the liner, normally you need to increase the liner diameter if you are going to ovalize the liner to maintain the 28 Sq inches of area.
Well...you may be absolutely right. All I know is I the installer said I have clay liners in my chimney and a regular 6" liner would not fit and recommended 5.5 with pour in insulation around it. Went on this site and researched and many advised against pour insulation, so I asked for other options. That's when the installer offered to install the Olympia pre-insulated/ovalized liner. Saw it on the day of install and it was pre-insulated and ovalized...so it appears that's what they installed?

The installer may have ovalized the liner.

How could he ovalized it? My professional installation was ovalized with a 2x4 and sledge hammer. Now knowing better from this great group, I have a 10 year plan to replace myself with an ovalized insulated liner.

Ask the installer. This is one method. If with a board I think I would use a 2 x10 or 2x12.

Ask the installer. This is one method. If with a board I think I would use a 2 x10 or 2x12.

Yeah we have one of those ours is bigger though. I dont know if you c as n run preinsulated through them though.

it looks like it damages the liner, like small crinkled marks. Does a factory ovalized liner look the same?

it looks like it damages the liner, like small crinkled marks. Does a factory ovalized liner look the same?
It does not if you use it right. Ours is much nicer it has a crank on the rollers to feed the liner through. And a crank to adjust the distance between the rollers. And yes that is pretty much the same way the factory ones work