6" stove pipe to 12" chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnietlane

Oct 3, 2013
I have a daka wood furnace which has a 6" flue. I found a really good deal on 12" triple wall chimney pipe. Can I use that and if so, how can I connect 12" chimney pipe to 6" stove pipe?

I'd call the manufacturer and ask them. And if they say no, I'd do what they say.

Too big of a chimney can cause just as many draft issues as having one too small I do believe.

More importantly, if you install a wood stove in a way that does not comply with the manufacturers specifications you will potentially open yourself up to significant liability should you suffer some kind of loss due to a failure in your wood stove and/or chimney (ie. denied insurance claim).

I would advise against it. While it might work, it's not worth the problems that would arise. As the gasses exit the furnace, they will expand when they hit the chimney. This will cause them to travel slower, as well as cool on the way up. This causes sluggish draft, and a better chance for creosote to form. Ideally if the furnace has a 6" outlet, then a 6" chimney would be the best bet. On a furnace like that even a 8" would be okay, but I wouldn't go any larger. It's nice to save a few bucks, but when it comes to something that has potential to burn down a house, it's just not worth
it.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Status
Not open for further replies.