6" stove pipe to 8" liner - is this permitted / will it work okay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wildfire

Jan 5, 2010
Western PA
Need some advice – going to be replacing my majestic pre-fab with an Englander 30-nch. The majestic prefab is connected to an 8” double wall straight vertical liner. It was inspected last year and is in great shape. The Englander is a 6”outlet. I’m planning on running 6” double wall pipe to the first floor and then I’d like to know if I can transition to that 8” liner and reuse it through the rest of my chase and out the roof or do I need to purchase a new 6” liner?

The majestic chimney will not be reusable. It will need to be replaced with a class A chimney system. That chimney isn't approved for the amount of heat a woodstove will produce, not to mention there’s no way to support the pipe. It’s currently resting on top of your fireplace.

Reactions: bholler
Need some advice – going to be replacing my majestic pre-fab with an Englander 30-nch. The majestic prefab is connected to an 8” double wall straight vertical liner. It was inspected last year and is in great shape. The Englander is a 6”outlet. I’m planning on running 6” double wall pipe to the first floor and then I’d like to know if I can transition to that 8” liner and reuse it through the rest of my chase and out the roof or do I need to purchase a new 6” liner?
No the chimney for that majestic is not rated for high enough temp for a wood stove. And how are you planning on replacing a zero clearance with an englander 30nc???

good points - and that is what i was thinking just wasn't sure.... we're putting an addition on. the home is a 2-story colonial and the majestic needs to be moved with the addition. i was hoping to replace it with a wood stove and run straight double wall pipe all the way from the stove through the roof inside a new chase that will be built with the addition. (the majestic vents through a chase today - it's 22ft tall).