6" to 8"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

al44ever

Nov 16, 2020
washington
These are my stove picture and current set up. I have to work tomorrow so I’m going to extend the chimney next weekend. It’ll be 15 feet from that tee outside.

Because I have to wait for that roof bracket from homedepot. They don’t have it in stock so it will come like in oct 6. So this weekend I’ll put up half like 7 feet the. Next weekend I’ll do the over the roof next half . Hope this will draw the draft out.

My stuff at the moment .
View attachment 263859View attachment 263860View attachment 263861View attachment 263862View attachment 263863View attachment 263864
I have a woodstove with a 6' top flue opening. Can I connect it to 8' stovepipe with an adaptor and get good performance? Total length about 15 '. Tested outside with 6' of pipe but was fairly smoky with doors open.

Is this straight up or up to an elbow and out to a chimney? What make and model stove is this for?

Last edited:
Performance and efficiency is much better with the same size pipe and flue all the way.

The object is keeping the internal flue gas temp above 250* f to the top when smoke is present. This is easiest achieved by an insulated 6 inch flue.

The reason is below 250*, water vapor from combustion condenses on the chimney flue walls allowing smoke particles to stick, forming creosote. When exhaust gasses are allowed to expand, they cool considerably. 6 to 8 is almost double the internal square inch. This cools by almost 1/2. So running a stove efficiently with less wasted heat up the stack with 8 inch, requires about twice as much heat to be left up with thr larger diameter chimney.

A surface thermometer on the pipe exterior surface reads about 1/2 the internal flue gas temp. So reading 250 on the thermometer is approximately 500 internal. Cooling by the time it reaches the top can be down near 250, (depending on interior / exterior, masonry or insulated flue chimney) hence the cool range on thermometer at about 250. With a larger pipe and flue you would need to run the stack hotter, wasting fuel. It’s a guess what the actual temp is at the top without an IR thermometer to check.

Outside with pipe on the stove you don’t have a flue hotter inside than the outdoor temperature. This is what creates a low pressure area in the stove allowing atmospheric air pressure to push into the stove. So you end up without enough oxygen to make it burn clean without smoke.