60mpg Hummer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flatbedford said:
There is a guy in the Northwest (forgot which state now) who installs Cummins 4BT 4 cylinder turbo diesels in all kinds of light trucks. His 1970 4x4 F250 gets around 30 mpg with this conversion. My 1970 F350 gets about 8 mpg with the factory V8. The diesel also puts out more torque and hp. There are better ways to do things.

There's a local guy here that will put a Cummins (4BT or 12V 5.9) in about anything you want. My buddy just had a 5.9 transplanted into a F350 when the 7.3 gave up the ghost. I know a guy that has one of those Japanese mini-trucks and swapped out the stock engine with a 3 cyl Kubota...not sure if it even gets 60 MPG.

The date sais Nov. 1, 2007. If it was a good idea it would be in cars by now Especially with gas around 3.75 and 4 bucks for diesel. The only way I can see is using small diesels in small cars like Pontiac Salstice and small Toyota mr2 cars. Get a deisel with no emissions, high compression and get 60mpg easy. Jettas get 49 mpg so most likely a real small car might get even 70 mpg. Then you are talking mpg. Nice looking cars like the Salstice, people would buy. Not some stupid looking "smart" car that proves you are a dork.

ditto on the smart car ,those things look like a death trap that was already pre shrunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.