7" outlet to 10" liner question?!?!? Help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sc00ter079

Dec 3, 2016
Seven mile
I acquired a osburn wood burning insert to slide into my existing brick fireplace. Currently the fireplace has a 1 year old 10" stainless liner. The insert has a 7" outlet. Is there any way to just tie the insert into the 10" stainless outlet rather than running a entire separate liner? Obviously this would be much easier and probably a lot cheaper. Thanks in advance for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which model Osburn is this? The Osburn should have a 6" outlet with an area of ~28sq in.. A 10" liner will have an area of ~79 sq in. or almost 3 times as large. The insert should have a 6" positive connect liner for the best performance.

Which model Osburn is this? The Osburn should have a 6" outlet with an area of ~28sq in.. A 10" liner will have an area of ~79 sq in. or almost 3 times as large. The insert should have a 6" positive connect liner for the best performance.

Here is the manual and a pic of the top of mine. 39ad1d495c897ea6fe9662643f4a1f83.jpg10a303e8b5e86383151c51e6c0033eac.jpg

The cellphone shot of the manual is too tiny to read, but if this is the stove then it looks like you are right, that is 7" for this old insert. Can you provide the model number or manual url?

The cellphone shot of the manual is too tiny to read, but if this is the stove then it looks like you are right, that is 7" for this old insert. Can you provide the model number or manual url?

I'm sure it's still hard to see but under model it just says "Extended"

If you send me your email afraid I can forward you the manual from osburn

Image1499537385.844958.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a pdf, it should be postable. Does the manual have the model number information? If so, just a shot of that will do.

I see WH-3x414132xx , where an 'x' is an unreadable character. Maybe that's a serial number? According to their website, all inserts have a model starting with "OB", not "WH". I don't see anything like that on the plate, though.

Great, thanks for posting the pdf. This is a classic stove from the late 80s. As you've found out 7" is an odd size without a lot of suppliers or options. It may need to be made custom. The adapter must be made of stainless steel. This is more common in the UK. Perhaps one could be fabricated there?
http://www.directflues.co.uk/index....category_id=59&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=7

In metric you would be going from a 180mm to 250mm

You might also try Woodland Direct and other companies that sell 10" liners to see if they have a line on a liner adapter.
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Bulk-Chimney-Liner/10in-Easy-Flex-Chimney-Liner

Great, thanks for posting the pdf. This is a classic stove from the late 80s. As you've found out 7" is an odd size without a lot of suppliers or options. It may need to be made custom. The adapter must be made of stainless steel. This is more common in the UK. Perhaps one could be fabricated there?
http://www.directflues.co.uk/index....category_id=59&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=7

In metric you would be going from a 180mm to 250mm

You might also try Woodland Direct and other companies that sell 10" liners to see if they have a line on a liner adapter.
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Bulk-Chimney-Liner/10in-Easy-Flex-Chimney-Liner

I set aside some cash for the install. I may just suck it up and buy a 7" liner kit. I want it done right. I was just offered a 8" liner and chimney cap for $300 so I might drive an hour to pick that up. Havnt decided what would be best yet