80's Blaze King - Should they use it or lose it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tutu_sue

Jan 21, 2006
Northern NJ
Hi Guys,

I'm inquiring for someone who just bought a house in Vermont. Sitting in the garage is what I guesstimate to be a 1980's manfacture Blaze King. We believe it was once used in the house. It's HUGE and has a solid bottom hinged door at the top front with two handles and three decorative flame ceramic tiles on the front. I looked on the Blaze King web site and I think it's a KT-300 series model made of steel. It was behind all kinds of stuff so I wasn't able to see the model number.

The house will mainly be used for ski weekends in the winter and the owner would like to move the stove into the great room fireplace and put it to use. Assuming the stove is the correct size and will be professionally installed, should the owner use it or lose it and get a new stove? What needs to be considered?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

So many things to think about. Number 1, is it a listed stove? If not it will have to be installed following the very conservative requirements set out for unlisted stoves; the previous installation - clearances, floor protection, etc may not have been safe. Since the maximum clearance reduction provided by readily available products in 66% (pls correct me if I'm wrong), it may not even be possible to install it safely.

Is it going to be the primary heat source? I burn an unlisted stove as the sole heat source in a cabin. During the day I can burn shorter, hot fires, as required; I think old stoves are somewhat clean burning if used this way. The problem is at night when trying to get overnight burns, they're going to want to damp it down; that's where those old stoves really become a problem.

How's the stovepipe and chimney setup? Add to the smouldering 80s vintage airtight stove problem above a less-than-ideal chimney and stovepipe setup, which - surprise - cannot be easily or adequately cleaned, and you have a recipe for creosote. Until I can scrape together the cash for a modern stove I have the old Jotul 118 installed with a cleanout tee, straight shot stovepipe and chimney. Checking and sweeping the chimney couldn't be easier, and the draft is pretty good.

A professional will not install that stove. (at least one who adheres the to the law)

So that premise is lost.

Seems like it will work fine, but I'd wonder why it was removed. Also a newer stove will use a lot less wood for same BTU output, plus pollute a lot less. Please consider the pollution factor!

THe word huge turns me off right away. I personally wouldn't consider installing the unit. Keep eyes on ebay and craigslist and I gurantee you can find a good Phase II unit at a reasonable price.

In 1984 Blaze King certified a stoves for Oregon certification, The Oregon certification process is simmilar to the 1990 EPA regs

Please get at that stove and provide the info on the label. I think you have a cat stove that could be as clean as EPA stoves.
Also provide the testing lab and UL approval ### at that point we can make a better educated oppinion on the stove.
Blaze kings are still being manufactured. Cat combustors.com Makes a replacement combustor.

tutu_sue said:
Hi Guys,

I'm inquiring for someone who just bought a house in Vermont. Sitting in the garage is what I guesstimate to be a 1980's manfacture Blaze King. We believe it was once used in the house. It's HUGE and has a solid bottom hinged door at the top front with two handles and three decorative flame ceramic tiles on the front. I looked on the Blaze King web site and I think it's a KT-300 series model made of steel. It was behind all kinds of stuff so I wasn't able to see the model number.

The house will mainly be used for ski weekends in the winter and the owner would like to move the stove into the great room fireplace and put it to use. Assuming the stove is the correct size and will be professionally installed, should the owner use it or lose it and get a new stove? What needs to be considered?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

I'd say scrap it - unless, as Elk mentions it has a cat. This should be fairly obvious because you can look up and see the cat and operate the bypass. If it is non-cat of that age, it is likely to be a creosote factory because the wood will just smoulder in the box. Your neighbors will also be unhappy with the smoke produced.

Also, it depends on the budget. If the owner has the money for a newer and cleaner stove, I think it would be well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.