80's Pacific Super Series - Worth Keeping?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bowlingalone

Jan 31, 2019
Driggs, Idaho
Bought our first home two years back and have been using this Super Series more seriously each winter. I can tell it isn't operating at its best. I replaced the glass and door seal last year. I need new firebricks and a new baffle kit as the current baffle is a little warped.

Do you think it's worth it to invest $400 into this older wood stove to keep it going or should I put that money toward a new one? I would budget up to $1500 for a newer stove but would love to spend that money elsewhere to fix other things as our home is from the 1930's.

Thanks in advance

IMG_1810.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Super series is a real champ. What have you noticed that is not "at it's best"? A little warped baffle may be ok. Tom Oyen (@thechimneysweep ) knows this sweep well. He's a good one to communicate with on this older model.

Reactions: bowlingalone
Thanks @begreen, It's slow to start unless I leave the door open. It won't maintain 400-500F unless the damper is fully open, which burns through lodgepole pretty quickly. I think it will perform better with new firebrick (6 are currently cracked) and new ceramic insulation blanket. The baffle is not very warped so I could clean everything and give it a shot for less than $200.

Trying to comfortably heat a 1800 sq ft home with a few baseboard heaters set to low and it is about 70% successful so far.

Does it have a blower? How old is your firewood?

Could it be the wood? How long has the pine been split, stacked and drying?
Is there a screen on the cap? If so, check it for plugging.

Can you post a good picture or two of the interior of the firebox?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Looks decent, though it appears to be missing the insulation seals on the sides of the baffle.

Reactions: bowlingalone