90* stove pipe cleaning..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SmokinJo88

Oct 27, 2021
Central Wisconsin
F53C01AD-F3EC-4692-BCB0-9AFDF6192E3D.jpeg
New homeowner with two beautiful wood stoves. Each have 90 degree turns out the wall to chimneys on the exterior of the house with doors below the 90 to clean out what is brushed from the outside upright pipe. My question is how often do I need to clean the pipes inside the house and what is the best way to do this. I don’t feel especially comfortable pulling the pipe apart right before winter but I’m willing to do so if it’s a matter of my family’s safety. Thank you for taking the time to help me with my questions. E54170DB-5F24-4589-B291-837178C43D26.jpeg 4FFAC8BA-9C66-4310-8B78-8CFBB8A029BD.jpeg

View attachment 284183New homeowner with two beautiful wood stoves. Each have 90 degree turns out the wall to chimneys on the exterior of the house with doors below the 90 to clean out what is brushed from the outside upright pipe. My question is how often do I need to clean the pipes inside the house and what is the best way to do this. I don’t feel especially comfortable pulling the pipe apart right before winter but I’m willing to do so if it’s a matter of my family’s safety. Thank you for taking the time to help me with my questions. View attachment 284185 View attachment 284186
Ok first things first. Did you have the install and condition of the stoves and chimneys checked by a chimney professional? It looks like the pipe may be to close to the chimney. And the wall passthroughs are usually not done correctly.

After you confirm the install is good the pipe needs to come down every time you clean the chimney

It was inspected by a professional. He suggested that the pipe be replaced for double wall insulated pipe inside the house. He never made a mention of the proximity to the chimney.

It was inspected by a professional. He suggested that the pipe be replaced for double wall insulated pipe inside the house. He never made a mention of the proximity to the chimney.
Did he inspect the chimney with a camera? Check for the required 12" of masonry around the crock?

The house is concrete block built on a slab. I don’t know what the crock is. He did not inspect with a camera.
Ok as long as it's just block it should be fine. Is there no insulation? The crock is where the pipe passes through the wall also called the thimble