99% sold on a Osburn 2200 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newfireguy

Jun 5, 2015
pefferlaw
Hi all....We are buying a new insert to heat 1500 sqf of main floor bungalow and all my research has lead me to the Osburn 2200 insert. Big bay window, mid size fire box good burn time excellent btu...Canadian made with a great price point ,,,2300 dollars cheaper than a quoted Merrimack. But i still have some conflicting information on the unit from a dealer that wants to sell me a hearthstone Clydesdale...Baffle non replaceable? wears out and unit no good after 4 to five years .... any input good or bad will be much appreciated thank you

The Osburn will do the job well. The baffle is c-cast ceramic and removable. I would be surprised if it wasn't still heating well after 20 yrs. The Hearthstone dealer is blowing smoke and he doesn't need to. The Clydesdale is also a great insert.

Reactions: stovelark
I read on here because of the steel as opposed to soapstone the Osburn heats up faster and and cools down a little quicker which is not a big concern as BTU's, box capacity and window size,,,,,last is wife request,is comparable with any unit I researched . Clydsdale is a beautiful insert ....plus 1500 dollars cheaper than hearth stone or merrimack...i can buy at least a years supply of wood for the savings

Last edited by a moderator:
She will love that insert the first really cold day. Get the most seasoned wood you can and stack it and top cover it now so that the prevailing winds can blow through it. If you can get ash, soft maple, fir, it stands a chance to season but time is getting short. Try to avoid oak, hickory and very dense hardwoods unless you can test the splits for interior moisture (freshly exposed face of wood, not end grain) and they are 25% or less. Or buy the oak for the following fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.