A better mousetrap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the comments on that page are just mystifying. White ash is as soft as pine? Birch is really hard to split?

By the way- this would work great on straight, easy to split, no knots or crotches, not too big wood.

Yes, unfortunately most of my wood supply does not fit into that category. However, last year I was fortunate to get some green madrone. The trunk sections were limb free and split very easily with the Fiskars. It was actually fun. Seasoned madrone is just the opposite. It's mostly a sledge and wedge job then, or preferably a hydraulic splitter job.

First line "Chopping wood is hard". I hate when people call it chopping, makes me want to hand them a double bit axe and put them in front of a 36" hickory that was freshly felled to make firewood sized bits.........

This is only useful if one has not advanced to the hyd splitter crowd.

Isn't this the same maul that threads were closed last weekish?? Looks the same ...and again, like Begreen points out, the wood is always straight grained!! Seems to apply to hydraulic splitters also. No matter what type of product is being sold (hydraulic/manual) the wood is always primo stuff. Put some real wood in those advertisements!

Isn't this the same maul that threads were closed last weekish?? Looks the same ...and again, like Begreen points out, the wood is always straight grained!! Seems to apply to hydraulic splitters also. No matter what type of product is being sold (hydraulic/manual) the wood is always primo stuff. Put some real wood in those advertisements!

Yup, same product.....This is the 5th thread in so many days.......

"Back in the day", my mom and dad, we burned 15 to 18 cord of wood. We split by hand with a 6lb maul. Was taught to split basically the same way in the vid. Just as the maul hit the block, a slight twist on the handle would help pop alot of splits open. We did alot of splitting after the cold set in. Seems the frost helped crack the blocks open. Would have loved to have that straight grained wood to split.

Seemed to me i did the majority of the splitting, which happened after I violated curfew on a semi-regular basis. dad was "disabled" to a point. He still worked every day, but had the leftover body of his younger days with polio.. He kept active by splitting and other chores, but it was hard on him. When i graduated High school, he bought a hyd splitter and a two wheeled cart for hauling the wood in. That was 30 rs ago, i now have that same splitter. Got my own maul, but seldom use it.

kind of rambled a bit. But i have seen guys with a good splitting axe, straight grained wood, do the same thing. Like to see someone really good with a basic maul/axe try one of those "fancy" rigs in a side by side comparison.

"Back in the day", dad wasn't long replacing the wooden handle of the maul with a steel pipe. Corrected me on over reaching and breaking the handle. Thought i was clever....."back in the day".

The computer-electronics geeks discovered this axe a few weeks ago. That Geek article has spread into many newsletters all over geekdom (I receive some of them), so once again it gets new life here as a result--like a very persistent zombie.

I have a headache...again.

The computer-electronics geeks discovered this axe a few weeks ago. That Geek article has spread into many newsletters all over geekdom (I receive some of them), so once again it gets new life here as a result--like a very persistent zombie.

I have a headache...again.
Most people that have shared it on Facebook are never so much as getting a splinter, never mind splitting wood

Geekdom must be all abuzz about it. Especially the aging Boomer geek demographic who seem to favor outrageously expensive tools to fulfill their needs for conspicuous consumption ;)

Reactions: TreePointer
the wood is always straight grained
and cut rather short for a normal stove (I cut mine 16 - 18" and this wood looks well short of that).

Additionally, they split off some very nice little splinters.

I will bet the money on my wallet and x27 will do just as well on the wood they are splitting and considerably better on the wood I pick up (for a lot less dough)

Status
Not open for further replies.