A confession

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clipse270

Mar 25, 2017
Harrisburg PA
Some of you may remember back right before Christmas my family and I woke to our CO alarms going off. At that point there weren’t any clear causes, the gas company assumed it was the boiler and possibly an issue with the chimney. Everything checked out and it was still recommended we replace the boiler. I was certain that it was the stove causing the issue as that’s the room our detector was in. Since this incident I took a break from burning, and only recently started having fires throughout the day. I can’t bring myself to have an overnight burn and always make sure the fire is about out before we goto sleep. Part of me thinks I’m silly for this and the other part of me says why take a chance again. We have plenty of detectors now and a new hvac system to boot. Am I over thinking this? I know fire should be taken seriously but I’m almost afraid to use our stove especially while sleeping or not home. Your thoughts are appreciated.

I'm not an expert, but the first place I would start with if you want some peace of mind, have someone check the draft strength in your stove's flue, and the boiler for that matter. Even better, if your utility company has any rebates/deals out there for an energy audit, do that. They'll test all of that and a whole lot more. The stove and boiler are separate items needing air and the house should be considered as the entire system, not each component individually.

The only way for CO detectors to go off with the stove is if there was a draft reversal.

That said, no, you're not overthinking this - we're talking about your family's safety. It's like falling off a horse/bike/whatever. You just have to get back to it and build the confidence back.

I agree with @yooper08. I remember a heartbreaking story not very long ago where both grandparents and 2 granddaughters died in
their sleep at a horse show. They were in a camper and 'something went wrong with the ventilation'. Your family's safety is first
and foremost--get it checked out any way you can. Maybe even call the local fire dept...maybe they have someone that could help.

I would put an outside air kit on the stove (if it's not in the basement) and burn away.

You could start with some simple testing, though. On a mild day like today, open up the cold stove and preheat the flue with a torch. Burn a candle or some incense in the stove. Run the HVAC, dryer, range hood, bath fan, and whatever else sucks air out of the house. See if the smoke from the candle/incense is going up the flue or into the house... if it's going into the house, you still have a depressurization issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: black smoke signals
I can somewhat understand the sleeping with the stove burning. Sounds like you have plenty of detectors so I say burn away.

I’d much rather this joint burn down when I’m not home so have no worries of burning when I’m not home. ;lol