A couple Hearth Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dnichols822

Aug 29, 2008
Central New York
I have an old wood stove. I wanted to redo the tiles under but then figured out I have no way of lifting it so I was just going to tile the outside of the woodstove. But when I removed tiles in front of the woodstove I noticed the it was wood there (no heat protection) and it was black as if it was scorched. So I'm guessing that underneath is just as bad and I can't imagine it would be wise to just go over the existing plywood. Any suggestions on a tool I could use to lift the wood stove?

Also, what are common ways of doing the bottom of the heart? Just a couple layers of 1/2 inch durock over the plywood? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.