A day of splitting/stacking...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AJS56

Burning Hunk
Mar 5, 2012
Central Lower Mich
A few months back I posted a few pics of some red oak rounds I had collected from a long downed oak tree. A couple of weeks ago I finally renter a spliiter from the local hardware. My wife (I think I'll keep her...) stacked as I split for the day (totalled about 6 hours of work at a relaxed pace). Before we started I guesstimated to her that we should have at least 3-4 cords from the pile of rounds. Well, much to my pleasant surprise we ended up with about 5.5 cords!!! Now I've got about 10-12 cords c/s/s in the (former) barnyard, and am still collecting out back. I only use about 6 cords per year, so I'm feeling pretty good about it right now... of course, the proof is in the pics...

Attachments

• Trailer of Oak Rounds.jpg
    Trailer of Oak Rounds.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Red oak rounds to be split.jpg
    Red oak rounds to be split.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Red oak so be eplit 121201Wood, new Stihl 121201 005.jpg
    Red oak so be eplit 121201Wood, new Stihl 121201 005.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 121201 5 cord split red oak.jpg
    121201 5 cord split red oak.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 228
Looking good AJ
Having a helper sure speeds things up. You got a keeper :)

2 year+ CSS, for red oak to dry well ;)
Though the stuff you got looks to been dead a while & may dry faster.
Great location for seasoning wood, nice stacks :)

All 12 cords of wood oak?

Looking good AJ
Having a helper sure speeds things up. You got a keeper :)

2 year+ CSS, for red oak to dry well ;)
Though the stuff you got looks to been dead a while & may dry faster.
Great location for seasoning wood, nice stacks :)

All 12 cords of wood oak?

Yes, she doesn't always have time to help, but she deos on ocassion and it makes it enjoyable working together.

I'm lucky to have quite a bit of old concrete apron around the barn. great for wood processing and stacking, storing implements, etc.

About half is the oak and the rest is a mix of oak, birch, ash, cherry, maple and some ironwood from the woods out back. That oak had been down for 20+ years I'm guessing.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
AJ, we'll give you 2 atta-boys for that because the wife helped. When you pass me with wood on hand, you get 2 more atta-boys.

That oak should really be good stuff!

Reactions: AJS56
Nicely done - Better take care of her for Xmas!

Nicely done - Better take care of her for Xmas!

What are you talking about, she even got him a MS261 as a Christmas present. Had no idea she helped though. Maybe she bought him the saw so she could use it too. lol

Reactions: osagebow
A few months back I posted a few pics of some red oak rounds I had collected from a long downed oak tree. A couple of weeks ago I finally renter a spliiter from the local hardware. My wife (I think I'll keep her...) stacked as I split for the day (totalled about 6 hours of work at a relaxed pace). Before we started I guesstimated to her that we should have at least 3-4 cords from the pile of rounds. Well, much to my pleasant surprise we ended up with about 5.5 cords!!! Now I've got about 10-12 cords c/s/s in the (former) barnyard, and am still collecting out back. I only use about 6 cords per year, so I'm feeling pretty good about it right now... of course, the proof is in the pics...

Did you split 5.5 cords in 6 hours at a "relaxed" pace? If so, that deserves another two atta-boys.

Damned waste of a barnyard, IMHO :p

*seriously kidding*

It looks like an excellent drying area. Nice stash !!!

And kudos to the other half for the helping hands !!

Did you split 5.5 cords in 6 hours at a "relaxed" pace? If so, that deserves another two atta-boys.

Well yeah kinda. I mean we worked diligently but took breaks and enjoyed ourselves. It went so much faster having someone stacking as I split.

Status
Not open for further replies.