A few Heatilator wood stove insert questions, from a beginner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hi guys thanks for helping me out here! The home I just bought had a fireplace in the lower level den, and about 3 years ago the previous owner had a Heatilator ECO-WINS18 wood stove insert installed. The thing looks nice and had some ash inside so it was definitely used. I won't be using it until I get the chimney swept next week, just to be safe.

So just a few questions. I really appreciate your help here.

1. Are these simple to use, just like a fireplace? Just load up with wood and kindling, and let it burn?

2. The surrounding trim that covers the gap between insert and brick is a bit loose. It stays in place but if you touch it, it moves an inch towards the brick. Looks like there are screws inside if I pull it away that it just doesnt meet, maybe due to the shape of the brick surround. Is this okay? It won't fall over, just not fully tight and solid.

3. Insert has a fan dial on the left side and the plug. The fan works but it has a very loud buzz to it, separate from the hum of the fan running (the buzz is consistent regardless of the fan speed). This normal? Kind of annoying and takes away from the beauty and relaxation of using it I think. Any way to fix that? if I pull away the trim to look back there, is it easy to reinstall the trim?

4. Do I have to use the fan at all? It's a small room, maybe 140 square feet. Is it safe to use the insert without the fan? If safe, will it still give off heat without that running like an old school fire place?

Thanks so much guys.

Manual indicates the blower is optional: https://downloads.hearthnhome.com/i...E_WINS18_INS_WOOD_OWNERS_INSTALL_7065_132.pdf

Burning this appliance is a little different than a fireplace. Whereas a fireplace burn rate is controlled by feeding a small amount of wood every hour, this appliance is designed for batch burning. Load it full, get the secondaries going, then turn down the air control for a nice constant 8 hour burn. Load it less full if you want a shorter burn, but the point is you’re not opening the door every hour to throw another two sticks in there.

Gotta run, but others will be along with more specific operating instructions, and to preach you on the need for dry wood!

Manual indicates the blower is optional: https://downloads.hearthnhome.com/i...E_WINS18_INS_WOOD_OWNERS_INSTALL_7065_132.pdf

Burning this appliance is a little different than a fireplace. Whereas a fireplace burn rate is controlled by feeding a small amount of wood every hour, this appliance is designed for batch burning. Load it full, get the secondaries going, then turn down the air control for a nice constant 8 hour burn. Load it less full if you want a shorter burn, but the point is you’re not opening the door every hour to throw another two sticks in there.

Gotta run, but others will be along with more specific operating instructions, and to preach you on the need for dry wood!

Thanks for your response! Glad to know blower is optional. You think it'll still give off a decent amount of heat when off?

And that is awesome, makes it even easier to keep a fire rolling along.

I appreciate your input. Lots of firewood on the property stacked on pallets, but uncovered. Think I need to get some tarps!

I’m also in PA. Figure 2 summers split and stacked uncovered to dry most hardwoods, but 3 summers for oak. Be sure to cover whatever you plan to burn in a given winter in August or September, after our typical summer dry spell, and before the stacks get full of wet leaves.

The heat output with/without blower will be entirely dependent on your install. If it’s installed in a masonry fireplace that’s on an external wall, you’ll likely find the blower makes a substantial difference, as otherwise more of the heat is likely soaked up by the masonry and radiated outside. If it’s installed in a completely-interior fireplace, then the blower may make less of a difference in actual BTU’s kept vs. lost, but will still help move air and enhance distribution to adjacent rooms.

Blowers should be nearly silent at lower speeds, so your mention of a hum at all speeds makes me wonder if yours is either worn out, full of dirt and dust, or otherwise damaged. The chimney sweep should be able to give you good advice on this.

That is a small room. Unless the room has a large opening to another part of the house, it will heat easily, probably without the blower. The blower unit is probably due for a cleaning. When taking it out the mounting should be inspected to see if it is loose or causing something else that is loose to vibrate.