A few miscellaneous pics from today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I think it's really neat how there are so many different kinds of plants that grow on stumps, like a tiny 'woods' all it's own. Here is one of those 'little forest within the forest' pics.
IMG_0097%2520%25281024x768%2529.jpg

This 'forest within the forest' pic has snow in the miniature forest. If I look real close, maybe I can see tiny little people sledding and making snowmen? HOHO!
IMG_0103%2520%25281024x768%2529.jpg

And the ice on the pond is getting thicker everyday.
IMG_0107%2520%25281024x768%2529.jpg

I take similar pics all the time, plants, bugs, etc. As soon as I learn how to properly use my new (to me camera) I hope to come up with some neat macro shots of things I come across.
Of course, by using the word "neat" we are both showing our age!

Cool pics, thanks for sharing. Pretty neat. Oh, wait, I can't be as old as you and muncybob. Can I? :lol:

HAHA! Yup, neat! And I don't know about you guys, but I can honestly say I am older than the moss on that stump!

There are days that I feel as old as that stump! I expect Monday will be one of them, going for a 8+ mile hike up,down and around about 20 waterfalls tomorrow and cutting wood Sunday...feel like I need Advil just thinking about it :)

Very cool pics...I have made terrariums with moss and different little plants like that....for those that don't know what a terrarium is, it is a little "forest/garden" in a glass container......looks really cool and is a lil conversation piece....I made a big one for a science fair in school...many moons ago.... :smirk:

muncybob said:
There are days that I feel as old as that stump! I expect Monday will be one of them, going for a 8+ mile hike up,down and around about 20 waterfalls tomorrow and cutting wood Sunday...feel like I need Advil just thinking about it :)
I feel as old as the dirt under that stump today! HA! A little bit of a nagging headache, kind of tired, I'm just not hitting on all cylinders, but I've still been out there all day. Was in the single digits and teens for temps, plus windy, but now that I'm in the house with my feet up by the stove I'm feeling much younger again.....

GAMMA RAY said:
Very cool pics...I have made terrariums with moss and different little plants like that....for those that don't know what a terrarium is, it is a little "forest/garden" in a glass container......looks really cool and is a lil conversation piece....I made a big one for a science fair in school...many moons ago.... :smirk:
I agree, terrariums are really cool! Have always wanted to grow one, but have never gotten around to it.

quads, that is great to be able to sit by the stove after a day's work outdoors. Enjoy!

Cool photos. Most folk wouldn't think to look at that sort of stuff without seeing a photo first. It reminds me to slow down tomorrow and look at nature more. Thx quads.

Backwoods Savage said:
quads, that is great to be able to sit by the stove after a day's work outdoors. Enjoy!
Yes it is! Actually laying on the floor by the stove right now. May not be able to get back up again without help from Mrs. Quads though..............

Backwoods said:
Cool photos. Most folk wouldn't think to look at that sort of stuff without seeing a photo first. It reminds me to slow down tomorrow and look at nature more. Thx quads.
Thank you! I often say that I would get more work done if I didn't spend so much time just looking around the woods and listening to the sounds of the forest, but that wouldn't be much fun!

Quads, Beautiful! There was a day, back in college, when I could have identified that moss, no more. Slept to many times and gotten to old to remember, but the picture sure was fun to look at. It brought back memories of my Botany major college days. I have always loved nature and your pictures are a source of real pleasure. Thanks. Steve

tfdchief said:
Quads, Beautiful! There was a day, back in college, when I could have identified that moss, no more. Slept to many times and gotten to old to remember, but the picture sure was fun to look at. It brought back memories of my Botany major college days. I have always loved nature and your pictures are a source of real pleasure. Thanks. Steve
Thank you! I have never known the names of any of the mosses but I do know there are a lot of different kinds of them growing around here. Most of them I can't even get a really good look at without taking a closeup picture of them (or if I carried a magnifying glass in my pocket). Some really neat stuff growing waaaay down there!

Really interesting photos, thanks for posting them.

A good reminder that beauty really does come in all shapes and sizes.

I for one will be looking round out a bit more carefully next time I'm out in the woods :)

woodchip said:
Really interesting photos, thanks for posting them.

A good reminder that beauty really does come in all shapes and sizes.

I for one will be looking round out a bit more carefully next time I'm out in the woods :)
Excellent! I am always looking around. In fact, to take the moss pictures, I had to lay on my belly in the leaves. Good thing I'm alone in the woods most of the time because if anyone was out there they would probably think I was crazy, rolling around in the leaves.....

Status
Not open for further replies.