a good cross cut saw for firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there is anyone here who would argue that a 2-man saw can keep up with a good chainsaw. However, if you are not as concerned about cords per hour there are advantages that a 2-man saw has over any chainsaw.

From my own experience:

1 no need for earplugs
2 no need for eye protection
3 you can chat with the person while working
4 you can hear all the other critters in the woods while working
5 my back doesn't ache from stooping
6 aerobic workout eliminates the need for expensive YMCA memberships.
7 no need for chainsaw chaps
8 no chainsaw stink on your clothes
9 no breathing chainsaw exhaust

I guess it comes down to the reasons why you heat with wood. For me, I don't heat with wood because I have to, I heat with wood because I want to. I try to choose hobbies that have a practical pay-off of some sort - but make no mistake about it - they are hobbies.

That said I did get a chainsaw because my hope is to work fast to build up a supply of wood that is several years ahead of my burning and I thought to do that with a two-man saw would be unpleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.