A good tip from my 93 yr old grandmother

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisnow86

Minister of Fire
so I was down visiting her last weekend and it came time to light her pellet stove. She has a Whitfield and has been burning pellets for 20 years or so.. I lit it for her and used the started pellets she had. After she showed me how she makes her own starter pellets.. She takes a container with a screw top fills it up with regular wood pellets then pours in some denatured alcohol. Turns it a few times and let's it sit. The pellets absorb the alcohol and expand.. I used them to light her stove and they worked perfect.. Just wanted to share this awesome tip

Reactions: Tonyray
I use the alcohol too. works like a champ. mostly i let the igniter get it but if i want heat in a hurry, i'll throw a handful of the pellets into the burnpot, splash a bit of alcohol on them and light it. works every time.

She has a pre self ignite stove so she has to manually do it evey time.. I will say her stove is a really nice unit.. A lot quieter than my englander my stove is like having a dump truck running in my living room compared to hers lol

Reactions: EviLScotsMaN
She has a pre self ignite stove so she has to manually do it evey time.. I will say her stove is a really nice unit.. A lot quieter than my englander my stove is like having a dump truck running in my living room compared to hers lol

YOU EVENTUALLY GET USED TO THE NOISE!!

Reactions: St_Earl
Jim Beam works too. Smells better.

Status
Not open for further replies.