A little evening scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
Saw an add on craigslist for free wood curbside. Ad was 7 days old but it was just up the street so I figured id try my luck. Amazingly it was there when I got there. Loaded up, made about 4 trips. Most is white oak I think but the woman let me have some from a stack out back thats different. Not sure what it is?

Here it is home

IMG_5638.jpg

Heres the wood Im not sure about
IMG_5376.jpgIMG_6410.jpg

And heres one of the more interesting rounds haha
IMG_4864.jpg

Definitely is tim;)

Looks, splits, and most obviously smells like red oak. Y'all agree?

IMG_7643.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Nice score!

Yahoo I'm guessing red oak......smell like vinegar?
Great score, BTW. Driving home last evening from work there was a road crew working on the one backroad and they had cut down a 18" diameter black walnut, looked to be a nice log and some firewood from the top but I didn't have time ti stop and ask about it........I feel so ashamed at myself.....:(

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
The woman who lived at the house called me today and said she had more wood for me out back :p . I hooked up the trailer when I got home and headed over. Ended up with two loads of nice red oak before the storms hit. Gonna go back when the ground dries so I can take the bronco into the woods to get the farther away stacks she has.

Here it is home. And a shot of the truck and trailer:cool:

IMG_8587.jpgIMG_7416.jpgIMG_7497.jpg

I'm hoping the ground will be solid enough tomorrow to go and grab some more. More pics to come if it is!

This is the second red oak score I've seen in the last couple days that has made me drool all over myself. Sweet!

I've been very lucky to have two great red oak scrounges back to back. I love this stuff, so easy to split and the smell really grows on you haha

Status
Not open for further replies.