A little white oak bucked this weekend.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I go by the Dennis method, have a moisture meter, etc. etc,.........but the bottom line is, you will know when you put it in the stove whether it is ready or not.;)

One thing I've noticed on this forum is the positive motivated people on it. Backwoods I agreed with everything you said. I'm not afraid of no work and you guys have spurred me on.
I'm taking a half day vacation and cutting down that big old ash tree. I'll be ready for this winter and my oak will be dry when I burn it. I got some locust after that.
Backwoods I turned 60 yrs myself and know what your talking about. Now, if I cut this ash in 18" lengths am I going to be able to split it by hand without trouble ?

Now, if I cut this ash in 18" lengths am I going to be able to split it by hand without trouble ?
Most of the time ash splits really easily, straight grained and pops right open. So probably yes. Hope so anyway. I have had ash get a little tough though. It just depends on the tree. Good luck

Naw, I do not hate them at all. Just think they are a bit silly for the homeowner to have. Too easy to use them wrong and get untrue readings. Much easier to just cut the wood ahead of time and let it dry naturally. There are just so many benefits to having the wood cut ahead of time that it just makes good sense. However, if it turns you on....

Wow, 2 posts while I was answering ctoneleg!

Tim, it is a rare ash that won't split easy. Have at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.