A pickup truck load of splits vs rounds...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
hello all, on average which will be of greater volume and why? I know there will be variables but is there a big difference or are they similar in volume.... Thanks

Both I think. Rounds and the nooks and cronies with splits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Wood takes up less space as a round for me. But the bed of a truck isn't shaped to fit more rounds. Kevin is right. Rounds in the middle with splits around the outside and on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dangerous question, considering your sig lists a Ram 1500. You're going to be over the weight limit of that truck waaaaaaay before you ever have to worry about the way to get the most wood in the bed. Think more like half a bed full, if moving green hardwood.

A fleet side pickup bed is somewhere around 55 cu.ft. for a 6.5' short bed, or 70 cu.ft. for an 8.5' standard bed, so 43% to 55% of a cord. Now, check the cord weights of common woods, and you'll quickly see your Ram 1500 ain't moving half a cord of ANY green wood, in safe or legal fashion. In fact, unless you're getting into garbage like Willow, you're not even going to safely move a full bed of seasoned firewood in a half-ton pickup.

If your wood hauling vehicle is a half-ton pickup, and you want to roll safe and legal, you have to settle for moving partial loads or buy a heavy duty trailer. Now, since you're driving in Jersey, that may be irrelevant. :p

Reactions: warno
I'd say rounds stacked on end, and if possible slide down a few spits in the gaps.
Do you run 8 or 10 ply (high pressure) tires?

For my '01 Dakota Sport 1/4 ton is standard fare. Depending on size all I can carry is
10-20 decent rounds aired up to 55-60 psi in back. The suspension starts squishing
right away with each chunk set on the tailgate or in from the side.
Anything more is 30 mph with the hazards flashing. I generally run a dozen at a time
with sources close to home.

Reactions: ajazz and Ashful
Dangerous question, considering your sig lists a Ram 1500. You're going to be over the weight limit of that truck waaaaaaay before you ever have to worry about the way to get the most wood in the bed. Think more like half a bed full, if moving green hardwood.

A fleet side pickup bed is somewhere around 55 cu.ft. for a 6.5' short bed, or 70 cu.ft. for an 8.5' standard bed, so 43% to 55% of a cord. Now, check the cord weights of common woods, and you'll quickly see your Ram 1500 ain't moving half a cord of ANY green wood, in safe or legal fashion. In fact, unless you're getting into garbage like Willow, you're not even going to safely move a full bed of seasoned firewood in a half-ton pickup.

If your wood hauling vehicle is a half-ton pickup, and you want to roll safe and legal, you have to settle for moving partial loads or buy a heavy duty trailer. Now, since you're driving in Jersey, that may be irrelevant. :p
Thats only because its a Dodge!!:p Now a Chevy on the other hand can be loaded up without a worry!
20160827_130329.jpg 20160730_154957.jpg 20151129_144355.jpg
In all seriousness though as long as you take it easy and realize you are going to need increased breaking distance and arent sitting on the bump stops. It is what a truck was built for. And I have never been able to fit over a 1/3 of a cord into my truck in the round.
In all fairness by dad has a Dodge 8ft wood beater we have probably over filled a few times20151129_145209.jpg
This is a light load. We usuall have it stacked close to the topper and plum to the tailgate leavin g just enough room to get the equipment in on top. Suprised we haven't broke a window out yet!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: English BoB
If you could not combine both and had to do one or the other I would say splits because you will not end up with the gaps you get between the rounds.

Just like gravel. The smaller you split it the tighter it packs the more you get.....

Just like gravel. The smaller you split it the tighter it packs the more you get.....
I read that as... switch too pellets

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

In all seriousness though as long as you take it easy and realize you are going to need increased breaking distance and arent sitting on the bump stops. It is what a truck was built for. And I have never been able to fit over a 1/3 of a cord into my truck in the round.
Yep, we've all overloaded our trucks, I've done it many times. Just wanted to make sure the OP knew the risk, as there is always liability in putting an overloaded vehicle on the road. I've been over-weight many times on local country roads where I can drive slow with minimal traffic, but won't do it on any major road, myself. Judge your own risk, accordingly.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
When I have a truck it's my dads Diesel Half ton never even seen that thing squat yet. Then I started loading up my wife's mini van. Yeah i have to pay attention to how much I can throw in there. Oddly enough my CRV can get completely packed full of wood and not have a problem stopping or going up hill. Not enough cu ft to fill I guess. Minivan is the opposite. So much free space with the seats down it's not made for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.