Q&A a question about coal/anthracite stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am thinking of buying either a wood burning stove or a wood/anthracite burning stove. The wood anthracite stove is more expensive ($1000 more) but the main reason that I am hesitant about this kind of stove is the following. My neighbour and friend Martha, who grew up in Holland says that she remembers that when she was young, she would hear of people having died in the night because of the noxious fumes that coal/anthracite stoves gave off. We're both confused because she is sure that these were anthracite-burning stoves, whereas I'm wondering if they weren't coal. We have an insulated basement, and we plan to install the stove there to heat it, as an alternative to electricity. My real worry is that my eleven-year old son wnats to move dowstairs and I am worried for his health, sleeping next to his stove. Could you please share any information on internet links that you know about that would give me more precise information on the safety of these stoves? Thank-you in advance, Anne.

Answer:

Anne,

The danger you speak of can happen with either a wood or coal stove. The key is a good venting system that will produce a strong draft during every conditions. A CO Monitor may be a helpful addition to the sleeping room as well.

An option for you if you are still unsure or uneasy is a direct vented gas stove. It is a sealed system by which it takes in its own combustion from the outdoors, and sends spent combustion products outdoors. Very safe.

I would go through Craig's Hearthnet website at http://www.Hearth.com . There is a section Q & A, and a section containing articles as well on several subjects including both fuels and draft.

11/2007 With a properly installled, maintained and functioning chimney you shouldn't need to worry about downdrafting. However, I don't believe such units would be approved for installation in sleeping areas check with each individual manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.