A question about pellets.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dansteelerfan

Jan 24, 2013
I guess it might seem like a silly question, because I guess it really comes down to what you can afford and how much you are burning. However, I've only owned my pellet stove for two months now so I'm still a rookie!

I have burned three quarter tons thus far. (it seems like a lot to me) I have paid 209 dollars for a ton of Power Pellets and 75 dollars for delivery.

I have enough storage space for six tons easy.

I have some questions!

I'm not quite sure how many pellets are typically burned each year....so I was looking for a ball park kind of idea. What has been your experience?

What is the best pellet to buy?

How many tons of pellets do you think I should get?

Need more info. Your location, stove, house size, insulation amount, etc, etc....

Need more info. Your location, stove, house size, insulation amount, etc, etc....

Almost a third of product for delivery, that's steep order more at once.

He has room for 6 tons ' Nuffield said! Get 7.

I don't have very good insulation and a very tall ceiling (20 feet) I live in Southern Maryland. I have an Accentra Harman stove and 1100 square feet to heat. I think that I need to install a ceiling fan to push the heat down so....I guess the stove is just one piece of this puzzle.

You likely have a good sized A/C bill in the summer as well along with a few windows just for giggles.

I don't know how cold Maryland gets, but I would buy 3-4 tons in the spring, and who cares if you don't burn them all in one season. Save them for next year. As far as what pellets to buy, tell us what is available in your area. There's no point in people giving their opinion on what to buy if you can't buy them anyway because they're not sold where you live. Buy in spring for best selection, best price. When you find out what's around you, buy a couple bags each to see how they burn in your stove, also search this site to see what other people's experience has been.

Also do some leg work and let us know if there is a Lowes or Home Depot in your area AND what they are stocking for pellets. A lot of us have found the pellets at these box stores to be quite good for the "shoulder season", or the beginning and end of the burning season since temps tend to be a bit milder. Their prices and delivery are usually a good deal. But as others have said, go buy 3-4 bags of each and make sure your stove is clean before burning a new brand of pellet to get a solid read on how your stove likes or dislikes each brand.

Being I am just north of you, we have had our fare share of 15 to 20 degree days and nights. I would say 3.5 to 4 tons, but hell you got the room, fill it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.