A question for the pros, something like a heat shield.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0vidence

Nov 11, 2007
south central CT
Greets all.

So, we've been burning for 2 months or so now and things are going great. For once, this isn't related to burning. In the pictures included, you can see that my Rainier is stuffed into a masonry fireplace with painted brick. We tried to strip the paint off before we got the stove, didn't work. So we covered the brick, and the leftover latex, with 4 or 5 coats of high heat paint, particularly on the section of brick directly above the stove, where all the heat is constantly hitting it. We are going to cover the entire fireplace with some faux brick/stone type of thing, but that's going to take some time, we need to complete some other projects first. Anyway, despite our efforts, the paint has begun to crack and peel right around the area directly above the stove from being hit with intense heat all the time. I would like to rig up some kind of heat shield that will make the heat roll off some sort of a surface that forced it out an other 6 inches or so, so that the brick isn't being hit with the full force of all that intense heat all the time. I found sheets of aluminum flashing that are 2'x1' at home depot for like $12, my plan is to bend a lip into one side that will fit on the heat cover on the back of the rainier and hold it in place with some bricks or something. It doesn't have to be pretty, as it will be done away with when the faux brick/stone is put in place. But it does need to function. See my poor man's artists concept drawing in the picture to get an idea of what I am talking about. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Sorry for the poor picture quality, SWMBO took the camera with her for the long weekend while she visits family, so I had to take these with my cell phone. I can take better pictures when she gets back in a few days if needed.

Thanks.

EDIT: Don't mind the firebrick hanging out of the stove, I was checking the flue. Squeaky clean! Surprising, given how many smokey fires I've head learning how to burn this thing.

Attachments

• plate1.JPG
    plate1.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 208
  • plate2.JPG
    plate2.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 222
You can experiment with any sort of non-combustible heat shield you want to install there to find something that works for you. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.