A rear venting/flue Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jamesly007

Aug 22, 2018
Middletown Ny 10940
Hello everyone I'm new, I just need advice on which brand has a rear venting Wood stove (under $1500USD)since I have a masonry chimney in my house, I don't have enough height clearance for a top venting. Thank you! Also, I need to heat up an area of about 2000 feet, can be less.

That's a tough call unless the stove is small. Most rear-vent stoves are cast iron. They often cost more than steel stoves. There are some inserts in that price range or lower that may give you more capacity and offer a better deal. What is the lintel height for the fireplace?

Reactions: jamesly007
Hello Mr.begreen, I measured it and it is 20 inches, but the masonry is lifted about 16 inches off the floor, I can have the stove smaller though, maybe to some 1800-1600 sqft. Thank you. Also, I went to the Pacific energy website and I can't see the rear vent option? The Jotul is nice though.

Last edited:
That is a low lintel. I don't think you are going to find a rear vent stove that will work and sit on the hearth. Even most inserts are taller that 20". The stove would have to sit on the floor in front of the hearth on its own hearth pad. Is that an option? An Enviro Kodiak 1200 insert might just fit, but it would be close.

I think one of the lowest rear vent stoves needs about 24" clear to the top of the rear flue outlet.

Jotul, Hampton, Quadrafire (Explorer), Hearthstone make rear vent stoves. Check with local dealers, but all will be above $2000. The Hampton H300 may have the best price.

I know, if it wasn't the minimum height limit for a top vent and the masonry fireplace being only 36 inches above ground it is hard for me to install a top vent. What do you think about the buck stove?

The Buck 261 is a model that we very rarely hear reports on. I've never seen one in person so I only know what I read of its specs. It will stick pretty far into the room. Overall Buck makes stout, reliable stoves. The 261 is a conventional design and under $2000.

Reactions: Garrin
The Buck 261 is a non-cat, step top stove. Fisher went out of production a long time ago. They are still available used, but the Buck would burn much cleaner and heat better with less wood.

The 261 works both ways. When it gets very cold outside the blower can help with heat circulation around the house.