A tip for that pitch or sap on your hands.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Scrub,scrub and scrub and that damn pitch just doesn`t come off with soap. Somehow, even wearing gloves, I still manage to get that sap on my hands.

Well, margarine and butter isn`t just for eating. Yep, it works like a charm. And so does vasoline, anything nice and greasy wil do the trick. So just chuck the soap and look for grease. :)

WD-40 or paint thinner & a paper towel. Wife hates sap on the handle of the refrigerator door. Rick

fossil said:
WD-40 or paint thinner & a paper towel. Wife hates sap on the handle of the refrigerator door. Rick

Rick: somehow I just knew that you wouldn`t admit to being a greaser :lol:

How 'bout a nice jar of genuine Oregon Juniper Syrup, Lee? %-P RIck

I use Goo Gone or FastOrange Hand Cleaner.

Goo Gone is one of the finest products ever devised in the history of the Earth. Rick

I echo the Fast Orange. Works great. Heard that butter works well too but have never tried it. Guess I'd rather use Fast Orange and save the butter for the morning toast.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
fossil said:

Sure I'll trade ya for a gallon of April made 100% pure "buddy" maple syrup.

Cheater :lol:

LEES WOOD-CO said:
fossil said:

Sure I'll trade ya for a gallon of April made 100% pure "buddy" maple syrup.

Nah, thanks anyway Lee...even if there were such a thing as Oregon Juniper Syrup, I wouldn't want to be some sap trying to pitch you a deal that would disappoint you. ;-P Rick

Acetone...

Acetone and alcohol... as if there's not enough issue with cracked dry skin on my hands in the winter- LOL.

(Plus- on acetone- I have this fondness for my organs. I was hoping to keep them a while) :)

Miracle Whip!

You guys sound like you are making some type of salad?

Vegetable cooking oil. ;-)

when I worked in the sawmill I just used a little strait bleach in the hands and it got them all free of sap for the weekend.

If battery acide doesn't work, you can try amputation.

The nice thing about Goo-Gone (besides the fact that it works) is that you don't smell like a gas station the rest of the day. It has a very pleasant bouquet.

I'll echo the WD-40 suggestion. It's a little rough on skin, but much better than paint remover or bleach.

We used to use it in the washers at the laundromat that had tar in them from people washing work clothes. The stuff just wipes right off with a little squirt.

I also prefer it for starting fluid in engines. It isn't nearly as explosive as ether and doesn't wash oil out of the cylinders if you overdo it.

Chris

WD-40 isn't nearly as much fun to sniff as good ol' ether, though. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.