A water issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bones1966

Mar 1, 2020
Cyprus
I have a wood burning fire place with Central heating link all of which works well and the thermo switch cuts in and out just fine, so nice warm fire and radiators. However there is water coming from the roof tank overflow after every use but I can't tell if it's a ball valve issue or a heat expansion issue or something else. Do I have to seasonally drain the system ? Could I have an air trap or blockage somewhere. ? Any advice gratefully received. TIA.

Sounds like you might have too much water in the system. Or it's not designed right.

But really not sure - that's not much info to go on.

Sounds like an issue with the water makeup valve. It is designed to keep enough water in the system, taking water from your municipal water supply to keep the system full. Sounds like it is working too good. I'm not sure what else it could be, it's always possible to loose water through leaks and evaporation and be low, but gaining water really only has one cause.

Sounds like an issue with the water makeup valve. It is designed to keep enough water in the system, taking water from your municipal water supply to keep the system full. Sounds like it is working too good. I'm not sure what else it could be, it's always possible to loose water through leaks and evaporation and be low, but gaining water really only has one cause.

Possibly, but this sounds like an open system. OP is in Cyprus. And an open system I don't think has an auto makeup valve. But again I really don't know - OP very light on system info.

Possibly, but this sounds like an open system. OP is in Cyprus. And an open system I don't think has an auto makeup valve. But again I really don't know - OP very light on system info.

Definitely odd, the thing that throws me off is the OP is worded that it overflows every time it is shut off. If it was occasionally I could see trapped air or something else, but if it overflows every time eventually it should loose enough water to not do this anymore, unless more is coming in from somewhere.

I would think either the valve for makeup water is allowing water to bleed past when it should be off or the level is set too high. It sounds like the water warms up, expands and overflows, then when it cools off the level should come down. It's at that point make up water is being allowed in the system when it shouldn't.

If it's an open system like it sounds the tank at the top should not be full when the system is cold.