A word of caution to dog owners...I feel dumb for writing this.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrd1995

Burning Hunk
Feb 21, 2020
North East, Pa
:( Our 1 yr old lab/weimaraner likes being outdoors with us as much as possible including at the wood pile. This is not my first dog I have had Golden Retrievers and a mix breed prior to our current girl Maggie. All of our dogs have always been free to beep bop around while we were out doors and two Golden's loved acorn and peeling sticks. Maggie was helping us debark a large wind fallen Red Oak limb(12-14") I had thought she was peeling and dropping the pieces. She was not after a trip to the Vet's today she will be fine, but has been extruding oak hardwood pellets for the last two days(12+extrusions in one day) and started vomiting so we got worried and took her. Vet said she will just have to pass everything but watch what she is chewing, they did not say it was specifically oak more the quantity of bark she ingested. I feel like a horrible parent...

Good warning. And walnut can be worse, it's toxic.

Reactions: JimBear
I was told Oak is as well, although the Vet did not seem concerned about its toxicity primarily from Tannic Acid. Thank you for the additional word of caution. @begreen I hope this post is appropriately placed in the wood shed I was on the edge of the Wood Shed or the Inglenook?

Reactions: JimBear
Skunks 10 times worse... Our big black dog, 120 pound Lab / Chow got close up and personal with a wood feline 2 nights ago and it sprayed him in his mouth of all places. The house smelled a bit but boy did he get sick. Terrible, terrible doggy breath and was upchucking really nasty vomit. Better now but I'm keeping a close eye on him when out in his front yard compound and no outside after his curfew, 7pm.

Being a valued member of the family he sleeps in the bedroom with us every night. needless to say the bedroom has a certain odor about it. Oh well, just like a kid playing where he wasn't supposed to play. Too cold for a bath yet.

No, not on the bed either. On the floor next to the bed. 120 pounds of dog on the bed, rocking it would be no good :)

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I had a relative with bored Saint Benard that would chew logs from the wood pile. The dog died at some point from sepsis from a perforated digestive tract from a stick of wood.

I had a relative with bored Saint Benard that would chew logs from the wood pile. The dog died at some point from sepsis from a perforated digestive tract from a stick of wood.
38C21BD7-5424-46B1-A6F0-3E03EA80BA55.jpeg

Last fall I lost my 9 month old lab to a perforated trachea, heard him cough a bit late one night & took him to the vet the next morning. He passed that night, vet said he couldn’t get him to quit hemorrhaging. He was always chewing on chunks of wood. I got him all healed up from his broken leg then the wood episode
815C9A89-F23E-469E-A231-58C635327298.jpeg

526DCE71-14CA-4D61-9EF8-E525F5FB90A9.jpeg

Skunks 10 times worse... Our big black dog, 120 pound Lab / Chow got close up and personal with a wood feline 2 nights ago and it sprayed him in his mouth of all places. The house smelled a bit but boy did he get sick. Terrible, terrible doggy breath and was upchucking really nasty vomit. Better now but I'm keeping a close eye on him when out in his front yard compound and no outside after his curfew, 7pm.

Being a valued member of the family he sleeps in the bedroom with us every night. needless to say the bedroom has a certain odor about it. Oh well, just like a kid playing where he wasn't supposed to play. Too cold for a bath yet.

No, not on the bed either. On the floor next to the bed. 120 pounds of dog on the bed, rocking it would be no good :)

Lol...my pyrenees got sprayed a week or so ago protecting the chicken coop I assume since it also stunk of it. He stays outside though.

Very sorry to hear these stories. My new now 10 w old pudlepointer pup literally wants to eat or at least chew on everything outside. Particularly fond of many of the plants we have around the house- many of which are bad for dogs- but also chunks of charcoal from my ash dumps. Mulch! Oh god mulch too. He's insane. It's a continuous battle.

Headed outside to split some wood in a bit, plan to stake him out in my grass- yes he loves that too.

Attachments

• 2BD4F49F-CEA2-4D92-B027-FBE0BCFFD234.jpeg
    2BD4F49F-CEA2-4D92-B027-FBE0BCFFD234.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 175
My boy doesn't chew them excessively but he steals splits from my stacks and carries them off to stash somewhere. Maybe he's got a stove I don't know about. ;lol I've told him repeatedly that I frown upon this behavior, but he's a selective listener. ;)
20200122_152010.jpg

Last edited:
My boy doesn't chew them excessively but he steals splits from my stacks and carries them off to stash somewhere. Maybe he's got a stove I don't know about. ;lol I've told him repeatedly that I frown upon this behavior, but he's a selective listener. ;)
Typical Lab
You just have to teach him to take the split to the stack:cool:

Typical Lab
You just have to teach him to take the split to the stack:cool:
He seems to like the ones that have a little fungus or whatever on them. He likes stinky stuff..old rotten squirrels, deer bones and what-not. ;sick
Walnut has iodine in it.
The nuts can have some harmful mold as well, from what I'm seeing online..

Reactions: D8Chumley
Different dog story: our Golden Retriever puppy loved to chase the laser beam dot from my IR gun aimed at the floor. One day I was measuring the side of my stove, and you know where this is headed, she jumped from behind me and licked the dot on the very hot stove. She was not a happy puppy for a few minutes.

She was ok, I felt terrible and she became afraid of the stove.

Interesting topic as our four legged buddies are very important to us. My dog loves to chew too. If you don't mind I would like to take a moment of your time to point out the high risks of corn-cobs- in case you did not know corn-cobs could very likely kill your dog at least cost you a few thousand $ for an operation for a intestine blockage. So there you have it No - Corn Cobs & Dogs. also check with your neighbors if they compost and throw cobs in as some dogs will roam around and get to them. Thank you for your time.

Reactions: mrd1995 and JimBear
Our girl is having another episode from stealing a walnut slab from my piles and giving it a little chew. I keep an eye for this as she only grabs a piece of wood when I'm taking the atv out to cut or draw in wood. Her symptoms are consistent as this is the 4th time it has happened unfortunately. She becomes unsteady on her feet with alot of head shaking , body shakes, and drool. It reminds you of a drunk dog. Her walking becomes very animated in a very slow manner. She does not vomit.
I now know the signs and give her 2 and 1/2 teaspoons of 3% peroxide to induce her to vomit.(45lb dog) It takes about 3-5 minutes for the peroxide to make her vomit all her stomach content. She will be lethargic for a day or two depending on how quickly I can get the peroxide ingestion done it seems. Note that this not from the husks or nuts, this is from chewing on the wood. It sounds like dogs that eat the nuts or husks tend to vomit on their own and also show neurological symptoms. It's a bad feeling to see your pet in this state, take caution with walnut in your yard wether it's a live tree or just split wood in your stacks.

Reactions: VintageGal
Here's the split I found out in the yard....note that she chewed very little of it then went and got a different species that she brought to the woods with me. I keep a lookout for her grabbing walnut but she was able to slip this one by me this time.
20230205_193010.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. If there's trouble my hound will put her nose in it! She was bit by a rattlesnake this September on the nose and almost died but she pulled through with turkey basters full of Benadryl and then organic echinacea tincture for 3 days after that which cleaned up her blood. Last summer it was three skunk sprays. And I think she's gotten into some funky poison mushrooms in the past and had a seizure. She'll be 8 years old. There are some good herbs for dogs and bad and obviously some good wood to chew and some bad! I'll try to keep her away from the Walnut! Hope everybody feels better soon 🙏

We let our 200 lb mastiff sleep in the bed. It makes a king feel like a twin lol.

OP - sorry to hear about the pup, glad it's ok. We let him have yard sticks but try to keep Gordon away from firewood. He loves stealing a log but the bark is no good as you've learned and there's a lot of pointy edges he can swallow.

27411.jpeg
Screenshot_20230205-234729.png

Last edited: