? about kodiak stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete97

Aug 29, 2006
Pittsburgh Pa
I have a kodiak would stove at camp that was built sometime in the late 70's early 80's. It was made by the Alsaka stove Co. I contacted them and they have no info available on the older stoves. It has 2 doors on the front that swing open and they have the air draft dials on them. What type of gasket would be better for the doors, the rope or the square shaped one? Also it is a "step type stove with the rear being higher than the front. If anyone has this type of stove and has a manuel for it could you let me know and I would pay to have a copy of it.

Pete we need pictures and also describe the iner bottom grates many Alaskan stoves were coal or in the 80's combo If coal the bottom grates should rotate and move

This stove is from back in the day when Alaska made the copy cat fisher style step top stove. I imagine it's an eight inch flue?

If so, you need rope gasket for the front door, although I'm not sure of the diameter

Let me check.....Ive still got a Kodiak, actually...its in reality a COAL stove, burns nut coal. Round shakeable pancake grate, just like the Warm Morning grates of old (good coal stove, that). Actually, the Kodiak grate was cast from an old warm morning mount I sent to ALaska way back when, when the Kodiak was in the design stages! That Kodiak isnt as old as the camp, by the way....Id guess this was early 1990's or so. My kneejerk answer is rope gasket, held in place with gasket cement. Measure the channel, and ya got yer answer!

sorry man, i read elks post, which said Alaska and I got trigger happy.

If I had your post I would have realized what the actual situation was.

Corie, You were right. I may have been wrong. It is a kodiak stove, that is what it says on the 2 front doors. It burns wood and looks identical to the fisher stove that is a step type. It does have an 8" flue. Do you have any idea what size rope. The stuff that was in their was old and flat tape type gasket. Thanks Pete

harry when our hearth powers combined we had some very clear cross-mojification and thus got slightly confused. :p

I believe it's a 3/8" round gasket, but I could be mistaken. It may be half inch- Take the old gasket out and measure the channel on the door that it goes in. That should give you a pretty good idea.

The stove is at camp and I wanted to get the gasket down here. It's cheeper. The channel for the gasket is actually on the stove and the doors close against it. The gasket I took out was thin and about 5/8 wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.