about to paint a stove, couple questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orenn89

Dec 14, 2014
Central Ct
Hey guys, im going to paint the hampton HI300 insert i picked up on craiglist this summer. Had a couple questions.
1) For the door, should i remove the glass or just mask it? If i remove it should i also replace the rope seal on the glass, or can i just put it back on?
2) Do you need to really rough up the surface, or just lightly hit any loose areas with a wire brush?
3) is it worth painting the entire insert or just the parts that will be visible once installed (the big steel box that will be inside fireplace)?
4) should i try burning the stove once outside to "cure" the paint, or just go ahead and install it?

1) Your call. Mask well if the glass is left in. Replace the gasket if the glass is removed.
2) Depends on the current condition of the stove. A wire brush on a drill works pretty well. If surface rust is small that should be all that is needed. Wipe down areas to be painted with alcohol first.
3) Again, your call. If it is showing a lot of rust might as well repaint.
4) If just a touch up on the front, no need. If the whole stove is repainted it wouldn't hurt to break it in outdoors.

I'll add a little more to what has been said. If the metal gas any sign of rust pitting, make sure you get it all out with a wire brush. No paint is designed to cover rust on a heating appliance. Naval jelly works good along with a wire brush. Also use a good quality paint like Stove Brite to get the best results. It costs more money but the end result is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.