About to pull the trigger on Deco Nano!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DreaRocks

May 26, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Hey Helpful Hearth folks! You all helped me so much last year when I purchased my BK Sirocco Insert. I love it, but I don't love laying on the floor waiting for the cat to get hot! haha

Anyway, I have been doing a remodel on a large room on the side of my house, apparently I found out it was the original carport! So I insulated, and drywalled this crazy room. Its approx 19x18 ft. with 8 ft. ceilings. I insulated with Rockwool, bc I just love that stuff! I built a hearth pad, and I have set the cement board, and will be ready to tile soon. I am attaching a pic. The hearth pad is 53x53. I wanted to give plenty of room for adjustments should the installer run into a ceiling joist or bean and need to shift. The brown spot in the pic is the size of the Drolet Deco Nano.

So yeah, the Drolet Deco Nano is what I am thinking to purchase, I do not want a cat this time. I am going to use this room as a home office / den. Supposedly they say the nano will be good for 200-1,200 sq. ft. room. I am just a little hesitant that it will be too small.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Has anyone used this stove yet?

20221029_093425.jpg

I’ve never seen anybody say they loved rockwool. I’m still having trouble absorbing that.

1.55 cu ft firebox in 400 sq ft. In North Carolina. The room has insulation.

You’ll be fine. Honestly, I think you’ll be opening windows if you get it up to 400F stovetop.

Reactions: DreaRocks
1.55 cu ft firebox in 400 sq ft. In North Carolina. The room has insulation.

You’ll be fine. Honestly, I think you’ll be opening windows if you get it up to 400F stovetop.
That would be great, yes it's NC, but since I have lived in FL, I get freezing, and I'm not a fan! hahah I appreciate your input. Glad to know I'm making the right choice.

You can make that work. No need to insist on oak. Pine and poplar will do well. I like that I can get a hot fast fire with pine. And poplar just burns beautiful with not a ton of heat. It will fit 16” splits

If I were to go smaller I’m not sure what I would do. The small Morso, Jotul, are full cast iron. Not sure I would want that in a small space. Same with the Aspen. Might look at the Lopi answer probably twice the nano cost.

As noted, a smaller stove will work. Something like a Morso 2B, Jotul F602CB v2, True North TN10, or Regency F1150 would suffice.
With a larger stove, it would help to have a fan located on the floor, in the area outside the door for this room, blowing cooler house air in.

You can make that work. No need to insist on oak. Pine and poplar will do well. I like that I can get a hot fast fire with pine. And poplar just burns beautiful with not a ton of heat. It will fit 16” splits

If I were to go smaller I’m not sure what I would do. The small Morso, Jotul, are full cast iron. Not sure I would want that in a small space. Same with the Aspen. Might look at the Lopi answer probably twice the nano cost.
Yes, the lopi are twice if not more in cost, as is the smallest Joutl and I dont like the design on the smallest Jotul. The nano fits all of my requirements and is more affordable than a full cast iron stove..

Reactions: Wood Rat
As noted, a smaller stove will work. Something like a Morso 2B, Jotul F602CB v2, True North TN10, or Regency F1150 would suffice.
With a larger stove, it would help to have a fan located on the floor, in the area outside the door for this room, blowing cooler house air in.
I have looked at all of those stoves minus the Morso 2B. I was interested in the TN 10, but I believe it doesn't qualify for the 26% tax credit. Do you not think the Drolet Nano is a good stove?

Ah, the tax credit was not mentioned. The Morso 2b does qualify. I'm sure the Nano is a fine stove, this firebox has been around for a while. It's just a bit oversized for the application.

I have looked at all of those stoves minus the Morso 2B. I was interested in the TN 10, but I believe it doesn't qualify for the 26% tax credit. Do you not think the Drolet Nano is a good stove?
Just keep the flip flops and tank tops out all year! Ah. Winter in the south!!

Reactions: PAbeech
I live in the snow and cold here in PA, I wouldnt change it for the world. Yeah we get cold and snow, but thats it. Hardly ever a thunderstorm, let alone a tornado. No hurricanes, no forest fires, no mud slides, no swamps. We do get freezing rain, but I love to drive in bad weather.

Sounds like the perfect place for a BK 20 or a Woodstock Palladian. I’m shocked you want to avoid a cat stove, especially in this situation. That’s where they really shine!

The cold weather driving observation reminds me of:

"So when the freezing rain starts 99% of the population slows down and increases distances from the cars around them. However in Eastern Oregon they say "Hold my beer, watch this!""

PS DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE!

Ice storm predicted for Western WA and OR. You can be sure I will NOT be driving until the rains wash it away. Hope we don't lose power like the last big ice storm. We were out for 6 days then.

Ice storm predicted for Western WA and OR. You can be sure I will NOT be driving until the rains wash it away. Hope we don't lose power like the last big ice storm. We were out for 6 days then.
Come to Walla Walla and we can put you up in the shop! But if you get ice, we'll get ice big time....

Did you go with the Deco Nano in this room? I am currently considering it in my house and will be doing a corner install as well. I have been studying the clearances and hearth requirements in the manual and have been getting a bit confused. I would love to get the details of your install!

Hahah, really?? Why? You can cut it with a knife, it doesnt make you itch, its a beautiful thing. I am a lady, and I do all this work myself... so any little bit helps I guess?!
I’m right there with you. It’s the best batt insulation out there period. Have used it for years when a batt insulation is called for.

Did you go with the Deco Nano in this room? I am currently considering it in my house and will be doing a corner install as well. I have been studying the clearances and hearth requirements in the manual and have been getting a bit confused. I would love to get the details of your install!
No activity from DreaRocks since last October.

Reactions: kath1807