about to spend a lot of money... Equinox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktop37

Jan 4, 2009
S. central Ks.
I have done a lot of research and I have ran my smoke dragon for 23 years. Cleaned 12x12 32' ceramic tile 70 times. IM TIRED OF CREASOTE!
I am having a 8" ss liner installed and new stove. I think I have 1 more ? The liner will go down to a T then 90 to the rear exit of the stove. then bottom of T will be cleanout opening from the ground. All insulated. All in a standard outside masonry. How does the liner stay stable at the bottom for brushing? In cleaning does the whole liner move around and not create problems. seams a little strange to have everything moving around.
Thanks,
Steve

the liner will secure to the tee using locking clapms, a little bit of movement is ok. mine does move some, never had a problem. just make sure the clamps are tight during installation

Blacktop Steve - your liner should come down and terminate thru a sheetmetal blockoff plate of some sort. That plate should effectively cover the entire opening of the flue inlet / top of firebox, which i presume is somewhat close to the 12" x 12" dimension you quoted above. We put a band clamp above and below the plate, to hold the liner secure to the plate. then the edges of the plate are bent down and it is screwed to the firebox walls. High-temp silicone around the edges of the plate, if desired. woodstove cement around the union of pipe to plate, if desired. Both are a good idea, usually.

Weezer is right about the tee clamping to the liner. that sucker ain't going anywhere once you install it properly.

You have a big honkin' exterior chimney there. Glad to hear you are insulating. Not sure what the Equinox manual says, but I'd very likely recommend you install a flue damper.

Status
Not open for further replies.