Absolute 63 combustion fan cracking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cornpwr

Feb 5, 2019
Indiana
I’ve had my Absolute 63 for a month now and it’s been great! Two days ago it developed an extremely loud noise, rotational impact noise. I narrowed it down to the combustion fan. Looking further I found the fins on the combustion fan cracking and hitting Phipps screws that are right underneath the fan. The store I purchased the fan from wants to send me a new fan, ok great. I do feel some play in the fan motor but I don’t feel it’s enough to actually cause the blades to hit the screws. It seems like a horrible idea to have screw heads right below the fan. Seems like the fan is just failing to me. Is this going to be a maintenance item every 1 ton of pellets? Is this a known issue? Should I request a new combustion motor? Just for the record I do burn a 50/50 mix of pellets and corn. Would this have an effect of the fan blade life? Thanks for all and any input!

Sorry, follow up question. I’d like to take the fan off and take pics to dl. Is this a left hand thread 10mm nut for the fan? I’d like to not break the fan shaft when attempting to remove the nut.

Sorry, follow up question. I’d like to take the fan off and take pics to dl. Is this a left hand thread 10mm nut for the fan? I’d like to not break the fan shaft when attempting to remove the nut.

We like pics here, the more the better :D As for thread direction I would think it would be left hand but I would wait and let someone else confirm.

As for burning corn, I know they can produce corrosive deposits on the chimney but I wouldn't think they should ever effect the fan blades how you describe.