Accentra 52i stub pipe gasket for OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Squiner

Aug 22, 2008
Maryland
I bought an outside air kit for the stove but the seller didn't provide the gasket that goes in between the stub pipe and the frame for the OAK.

I want to install it tomorrow.

I've been researching and found that there might be something called ceramic paper (1/8") or ceramic felt. I might be able to get some at a local HVAC/plumbing supply house.

Is this the correct material? If not, what would work?. Since it's the OAK, I don't see it getting all that hot. The ceramic paper/felt is good up to 2,300 degrees, seems like overkill...

I do not know your stove but I have never heard
of a seal for an OAK . Why do you want a seal ?
It is under neg. pressure and if there is mo seal
it may draw in a little air from the inside of the
house but not enough to make a difference
In my eyes . In all my ears I have never seen
an OAK get warm enough if warm at all to cause
a fire. Others may disagree have at me .

I do not know your stove but I have never heard
of a seal for an OAK . Why do you want a seal ?
It is under neg. pressure and if there is mo seal
it may draw in a little air from the inside of the
house but not enough to make a difference
In my eyes . In all my ears I have never seen
an OAK get warm enough if warm at all to cause
a fire. Others may disagree have at me .

I agree but the manufacture designed it that way so I wanted to have the gasket there. I installed the stove today and just used some Rutland caulk in place of the gasket. I would prefer it be air tight so the outside air is being used.

I think there is miss communication,here.The 52i is an insert,not a stove.It slides into a cage assembly,inside the firebox.Some dealers,(and uninformed people) still install them without an OAK,weather in the chimney flue,up the chimney flue,or out the back,through the wall.The cage assembly may not come with the gaskets,for OAK.You can buy the OAK steel parts only,(as a repair item),or you can buy the OAK kit,which includes all the gaskets.I hope this helps.

I think there is miss communication,here.The 52i is an insert,not a stove.It slides into a cage assembly,inside the firebox.Some dealers,(and uninformed people) still install them without an OAK,weather in the chimney flue,up the chimney flue,or out the back,through the wall.The cage assembly may not come with the gaskets,for OAK.You can buy the OAK steel parts only,(as a repair item),or you can buy the OAK kit,which includes all the gaskets.I hope this helps.

I didn't know an insert couldn't be called a stove. Yes, I bought the OAK to bring air from the chimney, just past the block off plate. The chimney cap is designed by harman with perforations to let air down the chimney. The problem with is the kit I bought was missing the gasket where the stub pipe meets the cage. The thick gasket where the insert meets the cage is there.