Accentra insert, running without heat exchanger plates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jp0469

Jan 23, 2011
Rochester, MA
Anyone ever hear of this? A guy I work with was told by a local dealer that the back plates are basically a poor design since they just create an extra air gap in front of the actual "accordion" heat exchanger area. He recommended running without them. So my coworker runs his insert with just the compass rose in place and no back plates. Other than quicker cleaning, he doesn't notice any other significant advantage.

Doesn't make sense. Those plates force the air over the baffles without them there isn't turbulent air and the efficiency will drop.

I have only haf my insert a month and a half but taking the plates off sounds like a bad idea. I believe there are air intakes back there?

They are there for a reason other than to make the stove more heavier.

Hey if I remove the door to my microwave and disconnect that "safety device" I can use it to warm up the kitchen. Where did that chocolate bar go that was in my pocket?

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]They are there for a reason other than to make the stove more heavier.

Hey if I remove the door to my microwave and disconnect that "safety device" I can use it to warm up the kitchen. Where did that chocolate bar go that was in my pocket?

Good way to fry what's left from the beer soakings ;-).

SmokeyTheBear said:
kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]They are there for a reason other than to make the stove more heavier.

Good way to fry what's left from the beer soakings ;-).

"soakings" mean waste, wast = alcohol abuse. We will not tolerate such nonsense.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
"soakings" mean waste, wast = alcohol abuse. We will not tolerate such nonsense.

Eric

Right you are! <hic> :sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.