Acid Neutralizer System failure - HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmjbrtw

Feb 11, 2019
New Jersey
I have a Flex 7000 Acid Neutralizer system that I bought new in 2013 and it has worked great until last week.

I went to turn the water on one night and nothing- no water.
After investigating I discovered the system pushed calcite into my pipes and clogged everything. It took me days to get water working again. Every valve, faucet , toilet, ect was clogged and had to take apart. Frustrating

I called vendor that i bought it, and talked to tech rep and said he never heard about that ever happening, and will have to get back to me in a day or two.

I am on well water in NJ with 40/60 pump pressure, so not over pressured.

I am looking for advise what could have gone wrong, and how to fix. I need system my water is naturally 6.0 PH

I am currently bypassing my system and its unplugged

Some questions...

• Did this just happen out of the blue? Has anything else been changed? Did anyone service anything related to water?
  • When was the last time you added material to the system? Did you add the correct amount of material? The tank is supposed to be mostly full of water, not material...
  • The last time you added material, did you run an extended backwash afterwards?
  • Is the system backwashing properly/regularly?

Out of the Blue filled pipes. I had system since 2013 with no issues
I filled it about a month ago, per manufacturer instruction 2/3 to 3/4 full leaving at least 12" from top.
I back-washed it 1 cycle at that time with no issues. Back-wash is schedules once a week and i know it because pump runs

How were the pipes full? Was it precipitated around the outsides of the pipe, or plugged at an elbow type of thing? Could the system have done it's job too well and given you super hard water that clogged the pipes over the years?

Did you change calcite suppliers?

Did you follow these (or similar) instructions for filling/backwashing?

When was the last time you had your water analyzed?