Acucraft Wood-burning Fireplaces?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seanvan

Jan 4, 2008
NE
I was curious if any of you have any opinion, experiences, or heard of AcuCraft fireplaces?
Acucraft website

This is the exact product I was looking at:
Acucraft - Series 50

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

Also, they have a 10" insulated flu system which they utilize instead of a true masonry all the way up the stack. Any thoughts on that sort of setup?
air.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

Doesn't appear to be EPA certified, although it has some of the usual EPA features (gasketed doors, ceramic glass) I don't see anything about a cat or secondary burn. So it's probably better than your typical builder's box prefab fireplace but not as good as an EPA fireplace. The metal chimney is pretty typical these days, although 10" inside diameter seems pretty large for a modern appliance.

I have the 30 model and overall its been a big disappointment ,the glass smokes up after a couple fires to the point where you cant see the fire,its just too large inside to be efficient, it is a smoker,too bad because it is well made I think they went for looks Rather than a practical design.An osborn 2400 stove makes alot more heat and the glass stays clean and you will burn alot less wood

That is a disappointment, but thanks for posting. I have never ran across someone that actually owns one and they look very impressively constructed.
Any idea what makes a fireplace be a "smoker" versus the others?
I imagine it deals with size of the firebox versus the draft that is created?

I felt the firebox is just too large inside to reach the temps that a wood stove would as I could fit wood almost 4' log diagonally.Out of desperation to get it to make more heat i took about 140 firebrick and built a 24"wide firebox inside the other firebox filled the gap with sand and put 2 3/8th thick 12"x40" steel plates inside at the top for baffles and it has improved greatly gets much hotter and burns cleaner, at least I can live with it now because now that the stone and block chimney is built over it im stuck with it.look for that EPA rating with your choice' sorry for the bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.