ADAPTING A 6 INCH WOODSTOVE TO AN 8 INCH CHIMNEY.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

COZYCAL

Jan 23, 2023
CALIFORNIA
Hello all,
Grateful to have found this resource as it's hard to come by a good chimney person in my area and I'd like to avoid spending more than I have to on hardware or burning my house down. I'm somewhat new to chimneys so I may get some of the terminology wrong, but I'm relatively handy so I feel confident in doing the job myself with some guidance.

My partner and I decided to remove the stand alone fireplace that the house was built with (it barely put out heat and took up the entire room) and replace it with a wood stove.

IMG_6247.jpg

We decided on the Drolet Alto. We want to place it somewhat close to the wall, so we're going to use double wall pipe up to the ceiling. Here's where it gets tricky. The flue of the old fire place was 8 inch single wall inside of a 12 inch chimney that when to the roof, past the 2nd story via and enclosed housing. I'd like to connect the 6" double wall stove pipe to the 8" just above the ceiling to avoid the expense of replacing all of the 8" pipe.

IMG_6318.jpg

There's a 15 degree support box in the rafters that I plan to remove and then the pipe runs straight up from there. I can run the stove pipe straight up and maintain 6" from the wall.
Since the Vortex products seem to be sold out, my plan is use Duravent DVL from the wood stove up to the ceiling, then to install a round ceiling support box. Since the ceiling support is 12inch diameter at the top, I'll connect the old 12" chimney to it to close it off. Then I'll use a slip increaser to connect the 6 inch outlet of the support box to the existing 8" pipe.

Please let me know if this is a reasonable plan. Thanks for reading and your responses are greatly appreciated!

Hello all,
Grateful to have found this resource as it's hard to come by a good chimney person in my area and I'd like to avoid spending more than I have to on hardware or burning my house down. I'm somewhat new to chimneys so I may get some of the terminology wrong, but I'm relatively handy so I feel confident in doing the job myself with some guidance.

My partner and I decided to remove the stand alone fireplace that the house was built with (it barely put out heat and took up the entire room) and replace it with a wood stove.

View attachment 308334

We decided on the Drolet Alto. We want to place it somewhat close to the wall, so we're going to use double wall pipe up to the ceiling. Here's where it gets tricky. The flue of the old fire place was 8 inch single wall inside of a 12 inch chimney that when to the roof, past the 2nd story via and enclosed housing. I'd like to connect the 6" double wall stove pipe to the 8" just above the ceiling to avoid the expense of replacing all of the 8" pipe.

View attachment 308333

There's a 15 degree support box in the rafters that I plan to remove and then the pipe runs straight up from there. I can run the stove pipe straight up and maintain 6" from the wall.
Since the Vortex products seem to be sold out, my plan is use Duravent DVL from the wood stove up to the ceiling, then to install a round ceiling support box. Since the ceiling support is 12inch diameter at the top, I'll connect the old 12" chimney to it to close it off. Then I'll use a slip increaser to connect the 6 inch outlet of the support box to the existing 8" pipe.

Please let me know if this is a reasonable plan. Thanks for reading and your responses are greatly appreciated!
That chimney is not rated for the temps required for a woodstove. The chimney needs replaced

Reactions: begreen and ckr74
For those wondering what @bholler is referring to, the existing 8” chimney is an air cooled chimney made specifically for zero clearance fireplaces, the fireplace is designed to not burn as hot, or honestly to be burnt 24/7, this is what is referred to as builders grade materials.
A wood stove or epa rated fireplace requires class A solid fuel chimney, the older stuff was triple walled air cooled, the newer “better” stuff is double wall insulated, the flue gases will stay a bit warmer which can help with premature condensing, and in a flue / chimney fire can provide enough protection to keep the house from catching fire as long as proper clearances and installation instructions are followed.
Remember, most chimney’s will run on average between 250deg (min) and 800 deg F, a chimney fire can have temps that exceed 2,100deg f.

Reactions: bholler
You'll want to make sure all clearances to combustibles are followed too. Some of that foam looks like it'll be too close.

Reactions: bholler
For those wondering what @bholler is referring to, the existing 8” chimney is an air cooled chimney made specifically for zero clearance fireplaces, the fireplace is designed to not burn as hot, or honestly to be burnt 24/7, this is what is referred to as builders grade materials.
A wood stove or epa rated fireplace requires class A solid fuel chimney, the older stuff was triple walled air cooled, the newer “better” stuff is double wall insulated, the flue gases will stay a bit warmer which can help with premature condensing, and in a flue / chimney fire can provide enough protection to keep the house from catching fire as long as proper clearances and installation instructions are followed.
Remember, most chimney’s will run on average between 250deg (min) and 800 deg F, a chimney fire can have temps that exceed 2,100deg f.
Thankyou for clarifying that for me

Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

I guess the zero clearance chimney explains why the old fire place didn't put out any heat!

So I'll need to replace the 8 inch pipe with class A double wall pipe? Can I install something like this inside the existing 12 inch chimney (giving me 2" clearance to combustibles)?

Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

I guess the zero clearance chimney explains why the old fire place didn't put out any heat!

So I'll need to replace the 8 inch pipe with class A double wall pipe? Can I install something like this inside the existing 12 inch chimney (giving me 2" clearance to combustibles)?
Just take the old stuff out and start over it will be much easier

So tear our the 12 inch as well and just install a 6" Class A chimney with as least 2 inches to combustibles?
Yes with all the required supports firestops etc