Add On Furnace in Manufactued home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldandcold

Dec 12, 2011
ohio
I have a Manufactured/Modular home and I am considering putting an add-on furnace in. The problem is, every one that I have seen says not approved for a Mobile home.

My Manufactured home actually sits on a permanent foundation(full basement) that is 12 blocks tall. Any ideas if I would be able to install one of these in the basement, which is where my existing forced air furnace is?

Also can anyone point me in the direction of one that is approved for a mobile home?

Thanks

I don't see why a wood furnace couldn't be installed in your home since the central furnace is located in the basement. It would be a different story if the furnace was located in the living space upstairs and no basement. The only thing would be modifying the ductwork so clearances could be followed. What's the size of your home? I would check local codes. There's many furnaces on the market, the higher end furnaces while more expensive are more efficient. The cheaper furnaces also work well if on a budget.

Is your duct work metal?

Yes the duct work is metal and the home is approx 1900 Sq Ft.

What exactly do you mean by modifying the ductwork so clearances could be followed? I understand there are clearances for the stovepipe and for the chimney, but I didn't realize I would have to have clearances for the ductwork as well?? Basically all of my ductwork is hidden by insulation except for the return line and the main part of the furnace.

All furnaces require clearances of so many inches per feet of run to combustibles. Some require 18" others are 6". You can download the manuals and view the requirements. During an outage, the ductwork can get hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.