Add on furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenkle

Hearth Supporter
Aug 27, 2009
Iowa
Do the add on wood furnaces such as the Englander 28-3500 produce much heat in the immedate area. I like the idea of having a free standing wood stove type of install with the duct work heating. Just curious if the room it was in 24x24 would have that nice radiant heat feel to it.

Thanks, Jody

You will get radiant heat from the furnace itself, the stove pipe as well as any ducting it is attached to if it's not insulated. I can tell you I don't have any open vents in my basement all winter long and the radiant heat alone heats my 1850 sq ft basement almost as warm as upstairs where the air is flowing. Also, I have a raised ranch which loses a lot of heat because most of my basement is above ground, so I think you'll have plenty of heat.

A 24 X 24 closed, well insulated room would be way more than warm, more like 85 or more.

Jenkle said:
Do the add on wood furnaces such as the Englander 28-3500 produce much heat in the immedate area. I like the idea of having a free standing wood stove type of install with the duct work heating. Just curious if the room it was in 24x24 would have that nice radiant heat feel to it.

Thanks, Jody

In a word, yes, it will warm it up plenty. There are two sides of that furnace that are exposed cast iron, therefore the heat from there as well as through the glass would most certainly keep you plenty toasty. Mine is in the furnace room on one end of the house behind a closed door (that never stays closed), and keep the basement for lack of a better word, HOT. Not sure why we have the pellet stove in the basement anymore, just for the ambiance of the fire.

my englander wood furnace heats my 1,000 sq foot basement fine in fact sometimes its over 80 degrees downstairs with the furnace going full throttle and loaded up

My thermo control boiler is in a 1600 sq ft three car detached garage 200' away from the house and the lowest temperature I recorded in that garage last heating season was 58 degrees at -12 degrees F outside. Warmest was in the mid 70's during the shoulder season. So yeah, you should have plenty of radiant heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.