Add on wood boiler to LP furnance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

searlest

Hearth Supporter
Jun 29, 2008
NE indiana
Hello to all and Thanks in advance!!

I am starting to do research for the purchase of some type of wood burner to heat a two story brick house that was built in the mid 1800s (walls are 12 to 16 " thick all brick.

My current main heating source is a LP gas forced air furnance.

Pleas give ideas on the best way to incirprate a wood heating source.

One important note is that I some times travel for work and can not always be home to fuel the fire so my LP furnnace will probaly need to stay as a back up.

If you have read through much of this forum, you have probably discovered we are fond of gassifiers. My suggestion would be a gassifier like the Tarm, Eko, Econoburn, etc in the basement or in an out building. Leave the existing LP in place and get a heat exchanger that goes in the duct work for it to heat off of the new add on boiler. That way the LP takes over when you are out of town. You could also add heat storage and have someone do burns for you while you are away.

You would add a new thermostat next to the existing one which controls the new hx coil and the units fan. The existing thermostat is set lower so that it will automatically take over when the wood boiler runs out.

Do you have a servicable chimney with an extra flue? Do you have easy access to basement? etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.